Late war/post war M1 helmet chinstrap buckle

pawtwo

RememberThe5thESB

Post War. You see those on 50s and later helmets, until they swapped to the chin cup style in the late 70s or 80s. It's blackened hardware not OD so I'm thinking 50s-60s maybe. Mind showing a picture of the M1 it's on?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

It's a October/November 1944 McCord - 1097A stamp

Front seam

Manganese steel rim

Postwar repainted with silica sand.

Chinstraps are mounted on green clips. They fell sturdy as made of steel but are non magnetic.

I though that when helmet was refubrished someone used wwII chinstraps and mounted them on clips rather than sewing them.

post-162935-0-53311400-1533938475_thumb.jpg

RememberThe5thESB

Maybe, what's the hook on the other chinstrap look like? Just the simple J hook?

RememberThe5thESB

Yep, those look like US produced ones. I have a couple OD metal bracket ones myself, but the X hook looks like it was from a blackened bracket set and looped through a OD bracket. Bracket as in the metal bits attached to the bails. As usually all the hardware is black, or OD, not both, or that I know of.

But yes, it's definitely a post war US produced chinstrap.

That's a very interesting helmet shell, I really like it, it all looks original. An early leaf pattern cover and liner and you'd have a nice early Nam set.

• 1 year later...

I have the same chin straps but with brass hardware. Any reason for this or was there a particular manufacturer that used brass?

If the hardware is brass or copper colored and painted a glossy black, as opposed to blackened steel, then it is most likely a Euroclone chinstrap. I dont know of any postwar American chinstraps made using any brass hardware.

I've run into them often when dealing with post Korean, early Vietnam helmets. They have the same steel hardware for the bails to attach. I believe there's a fellow on Ebay that sells used chinstraps and he too runs into a number of them as well. How many of these euroclones could of possibly infiltrated US stock?