Old Dagger

Ronnie

A fellow found this and brought it by the office today. It is a very old dagger with the only mark being a cross on the end of the tang or pommel. Obviously it is very rusty and has been laying in the ground for a looonnng time. Could it be from the Civil War. Where it was found was in an area that Forrest came thru. It was also the same area where Hernando Desoto came thru on his trek to the Mississippi River. Which he discovered not far from here. If you look at the point toward the hilt you will notice the blade is shaped like a diamond. It is hard to see that in my photos. Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-64522900-1533625885.jpeg

post-7752-0-67529700-1533625895.jpeg

Well sure. I agree. Like maybe it had a leather handle but of course that was long gone. The handle does not appear to be broken. It is an unusual little knife. Thank you very much for your input.

Ronnie

It looks very similar to a Harrow spike to me, used in farming and you do loose a spike now and then. Did come out of a field under cultivation?

None of the photos of a Harrow Spike had a guard or hilt like this. And they seemed to be a bit larger than this.

Thank you for your help but I don’t believe it is a Harrow Spike.

Ronnie

None of the photos of a Harrow Spike had a guard or hilt like this. And they seemed to be a bit larger than this.

Thank you for your help but I don’t believe it is a Harrow Spike.

Ronnie

My quandary is that I can say pretty much the same thing when it comes to artifact daggers I've seen. What's being called the guard and tang really don't resemble a dagger much.

I'm not saying that establishing anything by it's self.

As far as is it a dagger or a harrow spike? I don't know. Seems as likely as one of those two, or still something else so far.

The photos of the Harrow Spikes have a built in guard, if you can call it that. This thing has a guard that slides on just like a knife.

was thinking it a pike possibly as well.

Cant see in the photo if its double edge with a spine in the middle of the blade or juts a pointed piece of steel

THis is a Spanish Pike from the 1500s that was at auction

post-342-0-57504900-1533697906_thumb.jpg

Other examples from the 1600s-1700s from California and Mexico..The item in the case was describes as a knife

post-342-0-36197600-1533697962_thumb.jpg

It could be a dagger, but keep in mind that many pikes made in Georgia at the outbreak of the Civil war had round guards on them.

JBtKtn0.jpg

Cool. The guard looks just like the one you posted vonmoen.

Thanks for the info and the photos.

Thanks to Ron also for the pictures.

Ronnie

I think it has a cut above at being a CW era pIke,

This is why I was curious if it had a spine or a center ridge visible.

Lots of the CW era Confederate pikes and other items were hand forged.

Horseclover

Can we start with some decent pictures? The measurements speak some volumes but what it's saying isn't exactly clear.

Try these guys

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/

It is a bit of blind man's bluff and twenty questions. Where exactly, how it was discovered (detector), was anything else found in the area, how deep was it buried, what buildings had been near it, what was the property history, on and on.

It could as easily be associated to a Cherokee chief that had battled Prince Madoc ;)

Cheers

GC