USAAF Gunner POW Group

Edelweisse

Hi: A friend of mine recently contacted me asking for some assistance in ID'ing a German Luftwaffe eagle which was in a group from a girlfriend's Dad. Her Dad passed but he was in the B-17 "Stormy Weather" and it ended up being shot down & he was a POW. Per the daughter's story...all the insignia was taken from airmen who were captured but the Air Gunner badge was hidden.

When I researched the "Stormy Weather" tail#...I found three (3) tail#s

As far as the group...it's not for sale and I only have the photo from the front not the back. POW wings, Air Gunner wings & Luft Visor Cap eagle

Just wanted to share

post-153915-0-04258600-1533614545_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
5thwingmarty

If you know the gunner's name, you can possibly go to the Fold3 website and find the missing aircrew report (MACR) from when the plane was shot down. That will have the plane's full serial number plus the group and squadron he flew in. Some of the MACR's include transcribed copies of the German reports from when crew members were captured.

Nice little grouping. Love to see more. A friend of mine was a POW in Luft 4; 15rh AF; shot down over Poland in Sept 1944. Was wearing his gunner wings and they were not taken. I now have them in my collection. Bobgee