WWII Amcraft pattern Wing, No Sterling Mark

smwinter207

smwinter207

I got this wing recently. I matches a confirmed example on a reference website. Would they have not marked a wing sterling? Maybe by accident or rush job?

From what I can tell, it should be on the left side.

Example wing:

post-20483-0-55917600-1533567611_thumb.jpg

post-20483-0-33040900-1533567684.jpg

They're air crew wings....I have set with solid back that isn't marked sterling, and they're from WW2....I'd say this indicates they are not sterling....Bodes

There is no doubt that your wing is a WWII vintage original. It is likely that the wing is made of silver, but there was never any requirement that the wings had to be marked as such. Many of the graduation pattern wings that you will find will also not have sterling markings. Since your reference wing has a stamped "sterling" mark, it is possible that your wing was just missed when the wing was being marked.

The lack of a sterling mark may have a small impact on the value from a collector's standpoint as collectors tend to like to see wings with sterling and maker marks, but for those who collect wings by maker and variation, I don't think you'll find a collector that wouldn't be willing to have this piece in their collection.

Allan

smwinter207

Photo of the entire back of my wing.

To me, the mold of the front is exact.(Or as close as possible) But obviously I can't speak to the type of metal they used.

S

post-20483-0-74331400-1533571833_thumb.jpg

They made wing in sterling and non-sterling metals, depending on the demand. I would think that this particular wing is more than likely made by AMCRAFT (as it is in their style). I would agree with Alan that this is likely a WWII/KW vintage wing. Nothing wrong with it, you do sometimes see non-marked wings in sterling siver (and sometimes non-sterling silver wings in which the hallmark has been defaced). They made a TON of these things and I suspect you can find every possible permutation you can think of out there. Maybe some poor QC guy was working on a hangover... LOL

It has never been clear to me if a sterling piece HAD to be marked with a sterling silver mark. More likely, it was important that IF a wing was marked STERLING, then the metal used had better be sterling silver (0.925% silver). You could get in a lot of trouble for marking something sterling that wasn't.

Think about it this way. A sterling wing might retail for a $1.50; a non-sterling, same wing, for .50 cents. A badge is a badge to the wearer; it's just us collectors that have these strange notions 75 years later! LOL.......Keep hunting! Bobgee

easterneagle87

If there is a question, get it scratch tested. They sell kits on ebay or take it to jewelry store or pawn shop and have them do it for you. It may cost a little, but then you will know for sure.