Baron Rudolph Von Ripper...Art and War

doyler

Had the opportunity to visit the Gold Star Museum at Camp Dodge this weekend.Appears they had a large multi state training and visitors weekend going on which I was unaware of.While checking in at the museum the associate directed me to one of the conferance rooms that contained many yard long photos of Camp Dodge from years past.I had been to the museum a few times but had not entered this room and its directly across form the information desk.

Upon entering the room one wall had a number of small artist prints framed and hung in a row.I glanced at them quickly and then returned to then as they were very graphic and oddly fascinating.There was a photo of the artist and upon reading the details posted I realized I had never heard of the artists or knew of him and his connection to the 34th infantry division.His story sparked a chord with me as I had never heard of this man and reading the description I thought why is his story lost to time and only known to history.Movies have been made about less it seems to me.The museum display mentioned his service with the 34th Division and then with the OSS.

I looked him up on my phone but knew there wasn't enough time to really delve into the story and couldn't wait to get home to see if he was mentioned in the saga of the 34th "Dog Faces who Smiled throughTears".Sure enough Von Ripper was mentioned in 4 entries.This set in motion a bit more research into the man or legend as he had become to be known.THere is a lot of information on him on line.Some is a bit conflicting or possibly in error when reading and comparing the postings.But all seem to point to the amazing life this man led.

Rudolph Von Ripper was born in Austria in 1905 into a family of wealth and aristocracy.Reading various accounts he later attended art school.He joined the French Foreign Legion in 1925 and Fought in the Syrian Revolt and was wounded twice fighting Druze tribesmen.He deserted the Legion after being wounded.Returning to Berlin.He went to China to make film documentaries and ended up working with American gun runners which proved hazardous.When back in Germany he was arrested,confined and tortured by the Gestapo due to his anti Nazi and degenerate art. He later gained release.He then Fought in the Spanish Civil War against the Fascists as a gunner on a Soviet made airplane where he was wounded again.He had a life long desire to fight tyranny and fascism.

Understandably there was no love loss for the Nazi form of government or those who stood with it.Later he migrated to the US.When war broke out he wanted to join the army and fight but age and previous injury was a strike against him.He was persistant and was able to join under limited duty and assigned as a war artist.

Initially it appears he was sent to Texas for basic training and then secured a assignment to Noth Africa in 1943.Then to Italy.According to the entry in Dog Faces Who Smiled though Tears, Sgt. Von Ripper was part of the 5th Army Historical Section.He was sent/arrived to the 168th infantry Headquarters area and reported to Captain Ed Reynolds of the 2nd Bn 168th as they were preparing to cross the Volturno River. Sgt. Von Ripper reported in and hearing the heavy german accent,Capt Reynolds called Regiment to confirm
Von Rippers identity as he knew from experience at the Fiad Pass the germans could be very clever.

Von Ripper wanted to be with the assault troops and Reynolds had him report to the crossing site where he joined Lt.Col. Bird the Bn Commander.Bird informed him he was to observe or to take photos or make sketches.Sgt Von Ripper stayed with the Lt.Col for a period of time but then later got caught up in the excitement and grabbed an M1 and joined in the fight.He would spent a lot of time at the 168th HQ making sketches and going on patrols as often as he could.Sgt Von Ripper was a valued asset to the 34th.He spoke 4 lanquages,German,Spanish,French and English.He was know as "RIP" or "The Fabulous Von Ripper" with in the 34th Divisions 2nd Battalion.

Later he was battle field promoted to Lieutenant.I have read he was awarded the Silver star twice and also the purple heart twice.He was also know by both Ernie Pyle and Bill Mauldin.It appears Von RIpper traveled quit freely and would appear at various places in the Italian campaign.One day he "disappeared" from the 34th Div area and no one knew where he went.Von Ripper had been recruited by the OSS to become an operative for the remainder of the war.I read he was active as well post war hunting down Nazis in his native Austria.

I understand there is a book written on his life due to some documents being found in his villa many years after his death.I may have to track down a copy as I'm sure there is more to the story than what I have seen so far.The book: VON RIPPERS Odyssey by Sian Mackay.

I will post a few links for anyone who wants to read more.

Rudolf Von Ripper

post-342-0-13087900-1533541074.jpg

http://www.historynet.com/von-ripper-painter-gun.htm

http://109thengineers34thdivision.blogspot.com/2017/08/baron-von-ripper.html

http://sceptical.scot/2018/05/rudolph-von-ripper-artist-eyewitness-nazi-terror/

http://sceptical.scot/2018/05/the-accepted-rise-of-fascism/

http://sianmackay.com/about/von-rippers-odyssey-war-resistance-art-and-love/

Wow, what a fascinating life story. Definitely the story that would make a great movie!!

Never heard of this man before, thank you for the education !!

Chris

One of many unsung heroes. Thanks for taking the "un" out of unsung for this remarkable man!

I found copies of the book on Amazon and ebay. I'll need to grab a copy.

Mikie

Thanks for all who looked and commented.

There were a lot of personalities in the 34th Division and Von Ripper has to be one of the more unknown personalities of WW2.

One account places him with tracking down Otto Skozeny.

BILL THE PATCH

Awesome story, sought of like Lemke another legend in the 34th. Ron keep posted if you find the book. I also would love to find one to read

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk