M61 Rig

kphfun

too funny! I have also gotten overly enthused aboout putting together a web set and end up with an upside down pouch or reversed suspenders. Glad to know others suffer from that same affliction :blink:

Captainofthe7th

Looks good! From my experience it is okay to have a m56 canteen cover...I have plenty of pictures of Marines with them.

Rob

I agree!, there mixed some gear anyway because the M-61 gear was not realy comfortable such as the old suspenders and the gear with the old M-1910 wire hooks!

Thats just to let your rig look like it had post to look

Cheers

Mike

Looks good! From my experience it is okay to have a m56 canteen cover...I have plenty of pictures of Marines with them.

Rob

The marines used M56 gears, for sure ! Whereas in 1965 they only had gear specific to the Corps, in 1967 M56 gears start to be mostly used.

gonoi110.jpg

u1615510.jpg

u1583310.jpg

etc...

IMO, two canteens are much better that one. Even if the I Corps is not always hot, some part of the year are deadly !

dsc04910.jpg

Well deserved La Rue beer in front of China Beach in 2007, 35°C.

w00t.gif

Rob

I would also say it's fine, I have seen tons of pictures of USMC in Nam' with m56 canteen covers.

craig_pickrall

I have merged the original discussion on the M61 rig with the latest thread. In post # 16 there is a photo of the rig kphfun was trying to duplicate. On that rig there is clearly a M1910 cover and not an M56. I was simply pointing out to him that he had not suceeded in matching that rig by using the M56 cover. I did not intend to set off the great debate about what 782 gear the USMC used over the course of the Vietnam war. I would guess that if you look long enough you can find a pic of a Marine using any webgear that was available during the war.

nguoi tien su

Craig, even if it is not directely the topic, no need to look long to find M56 gear. After 1968 it is not one photo here and there, you can find M56 gear almost everywhere in the Corps and the 782 gear tends to vanish.

I have merged the original discussion on the M61 rig with the latest thread. In post # 16 there is a photo of the rig kphfun was trying to duplicate. On that rig there is clearly a M1910 cover and not an M56. I was simply pointing out to him that he had not suceeded in matching that rig by using the M56 cover. I did not intend to set off the great debate about what 782 gear the USMC used over the course of the Vietnam war. I would guess that if you look long enough you can find a pic of a Marine using any webgear that was available during the war.

Thanks Craig and all others. Yes , I know that rig in the pic was a 1910 cover but as this one was going up for sale to fund other fun things I did not want to put the only Clean dark OD M1910 cover I have on it (and i sold the 1952 USMC canteen set separate) as that is held for my belt at this time. I have some Khaki one's but I don't like the way the colors clash with the darker OD.. Cheers, Kev