Share Your USMC Depot-Made Field Gear

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

Now I have to get a depot-made M1910 canteen to go with it, though they're quite hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have to get a depot-made M1910 canteen to go with it, though they're quite hard to find.

Indeed! I've never had one of them either. I think the only place I've seen the DQP canteens and containers were in Alec's books. Most people don't know what they are so they just get mixed in with all the rest. The good news is if you find one it likely won't be expensive as it's very unlikely the seller will know what it is.

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...
Jake the Collector

Today I received this depot-made M1910 meat can pouch from a fellow forum member. I suspect it is one of the earliest runs of meat can pouches produced by the Philadelphia Depot for two reasons: the early-style serif, rather than block, lettering of the depot stamp, and the thin web tape used to secure the four attachment loops, as opposed to the heavier material used later on. More significantly, the pouch is named twice: once to a "Kunth" of 2nd Company, and once to Henry Hassel Barfield. Henry H. Barfield was born 9 February 1922 in Greenville, North Carolina and entered the Marine Corps on 26 November 1941 (hence the use of such an early piece of equipment). On 21 May 1945, at age 23, he was killed in action on Okinawa. Barfield is buried in Newton Grove, North Carolina.

post-159182-0-92406100-1567197113_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-86978700-1567197123_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So is this the Type 1 Document Case depot-made?

From an earlier post, shows your map case in use.

Have a shot taken by my father at Quantico in 1941 showing a Maj. Hogoboom.

Distinctive name, and easy to remember, so when I came across a picture of him as a General I thought I might post this.

In the group shot the Major is acting as instructor (with the map case).

post-1414-0-94722000-1568571033_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

Very nice collection. I really like those early leggings and that shovel cover. It's also interesting that the haversack has been modified with Boyt-style buckles.

Very nice collection. I really like those early leggings and that shovel cover. It's also interesting that the haversack has been modified with Boyt-style buckles.

Thank you, I will add more when i dig it out.

Don't think it was modified, just both pieces being made during the period when it was realized that the rivet style was weak. Also interesting is that the set is made from two-tone or 'transitional' colored canvases, again when the Depot was heading toward a greener shade of OD.

Jake the Collector

Hi Collector,

I look forward to seeing more of your items. When I mentioned your pack, I was referring to the actual metal buckles themselves. What I meant was that one usually sees those second-pattern (post-riveted, with reinforcement strips running vertically along the face of flap) haversacks fitted with the Depot's characteristic brass "box" buckles. 'Flage Guy's example in post no. 58 shows what I'm talking about. But considering the Depot dropped the square buckles in favor of the blackened Boyt-style buckles later in the war (see 'Flage Guy's roll-top packs in posts 70-72), your pack could be from one of the final production runs of the 2nd pattern pack when the Depot just started switching over to the new buckle style. Whatever the case, it's a great looking piece you have. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, those ladder/2-bar buckles were fitted onto the Packs at production.

Here is a Pack rig identical to Collector's, with ladder buckles throughout...

post-3226-0-72249000-1569103032_thumb.jpeg

Jake the Collector

Nice rig, 'Flage Guy. As I mentioned in my last post, I suspect these non-roll-top packs fitted with blackened 2-bar buckles were produced not long before the Depot began making the roll-tops, but I could be wrong. Perhaps they just mixed and matched throughout the entire production run. Either way, I have learned now that it wasn't a post-production modification.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Jake the Collector

Picked up a 1907-dated M-1905 bayonet with Depot-made scabbard at the Show of Shows. The scabbard is named on the side against the pack, but it is difficult to make out.

post-159182-0-49040200-1582491285_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-32829400-1582491625_thumb.jpg