Share Your USMC Depot-Made Field Gear

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

Well it sure is a nice one. Of the very few (maybe three or four) I've seen, both for sale and in reference books, all of them have been in excellent- to mint-condition. It seems few were made and even fewer were issued.

Well it sure is a nice one. Of the very few (maybe three or four) I've seen, both for sale and in reference books, all of them have been in excellent- to mint-condition. It seems few were made and even fewer were issued.

You noticed that too, eh? Kind of like the 11-pocket Grenade Aprons (next on my "Posting Depot-Made Stuff" photo list); what few of them show up are usually mint, but then, there is photographic evidence of them being used. It might be fun to scour through photos and see if the Bandoleers ever show up.

Here are the Marine Depot-made Grenade Vests- '41 at left, '44 at right.

post-3226-0-56140100-1536732797_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

Very nice vests. Those certainly don't show up often, though the WWI US Army models are everywhere. I didn't even realize the depot made these until recently.

Thanks for the comment, Jake.

Here is a shot of one of these Aprons in the field- Carlson's 2nd Raiders debarking from the sub Nautilus, going in for the Makin Island Raid

post-3226-0-03953100-1536772329_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

That bundle of vests is incredible. Makes me wonder if there are any similar bundles of D-ring packs or shovel covers that still exist...

One can dream, I suppose.

Jake the Collector

After several years of searching I've finally acquired a depot-made first aid pouch. This is the second variety--that is, a World War I model that was refitted with a sewn hanger tab not long before the start of World War II. It is in good condition and came with a US Army dressing tin dated 1918.

post-159182-0-48009500-1537216744_thumb.jpg

That Shelter Half is just- well, uuh... :wacko:

Good question on the Blanket lettering style. I have one here made in '42, and it's the block type. I haven't seen enough of these to get some idea of when they might have changed; no doubt they stayed in supply until they literally disintegrated.

post-3226-0-15953800-1537378729_thumb.jpg