Share Your USMC Depot-Made Field Gear

Jake the Collector

Greetings, Etienne- good to "see" you again, and thanks for the comment!

Just bumping this topic back up; have been very busy downsizing old and new photos for posting here...

Great stuff, really enjoying this thread. Here are some of my Philly Depot items. I know I've posted picks of this one before but here is my pick mattock carrier.

post-192-0-50513200-1535933321_thumb.jpg

Here is a set of the shoulder straps for the 1878 pattern blanket bag. I think these might have the earliest "Phila Depot" dates I've ever seen. Both are dated 1911. And no, I don't have the bag!

Tim

post-192-0-28228400-1535933407_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

I love those pick mattock carriers, Tim, but I still haven't been able to find one. Definitely one of the rarest depot items out there, and yours is a beautiful example. Those shoulder straps are in great condition for being over 100 years old.

Ah, keep 'em comin', gentlemen. That Pick Carrier with the tape strap is just too awesome.

Here's another Depot M1941 Pack rig, this one representing the next major variant in the '41 Packs after the "rivet" models. It still retains the old cast box buckles, but the flap is reinforced with web tape running from the harness to the flap closure. I don't know if it was the Depot or Boyt Harness Co. (who began their production of the Pack in 1942) who first introduced this, but it remained with the Pack until its demise sometime in the '60s or '70s.

post-3226-0-95914100-1535944682_thumb.jpg

Here is another one of these mid-War variants from the Depot, this being fitted with ladder buckles and made with dark OD edge binding.

Flanked by a Canteen and Wire Cutters in Depot Covers/Carriers.

post-3226-0-17087100-1535945258_thumb.jpg

The underside, showing all them great color shades used at the Depot. The construction of this Canteen Cover is unlike any other "cross-flaps" I've seen.

post-3226-0-60785300-1535945522_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

Great stuff, 'Flage Guy. That cross-flap is the only one like that I've ever seen. Do you have a haversack with sewn buckles but without the web tape reinforcement running up to the shoulder straps? In my experience, those are the hardest M1941 depot packs to find, even more so than riveted models. I still haven't managed to grab one. I see the knapsacks (like the ones in your photos) pop up every once in a while, but the haversacks are quite elusive.

Jake, I think those are one of the very earliest models of the Pack, and I think the only time I've ever seen one is in the Pack Manual. If somebody here has one of those, I hope they step up and post some pics; I still have a bunch of stuff to put up, but I don't want to hog up the thread.

A major change in the Depot's M1941 Pack- the "roll-top" or "sack-top", which increased the Pack's load capacity.

post-3226-0-40276700-1536179152_thumb.jpg

Here is the Pack rig above, made of the old Marine Corps "mustard" canvas, shown beside another rig which is made of the greener OD #3 shade used on most of the Boyt Co. contracts. There are no stampings of any kind on the OD Pack, so I assume it was made at the Depot.

post-3226-0-99223200-1536179498_thumb.jpg

I can only find one stamping between these two rigs; on the inside upper edge of the Knapsack on the tan/OD Pack.

post-3226-0-89221200-1536179623_thumb.jpg

All these Covers are stamped in some way. The one in the foreground is a product of the short inter-War period when the Corps applied their logo to the outside.

post-3226-0-72534400-1536180246_thumb.jpg