WWII surgical kit instrument, help identify?

Doc1911

I've seen an instrument in many pocket surgical kits, shaped like a shepherd's crook with an eyelet on the end. I've seen ligature carriers & aneurysm needles that look similar to this. Does any know for sure what it is/used for?

7nQ9tke.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

A surgeon I showed the picture to said it was a Hewson Suture Passer. It is for passing a suture around a bone.

A surgeon I showed the picture to said it was a Hewson Suture Passer. It is for passing a suture around a bone.

The consensus among surgeons I've talked to is that the instrument in the kit photo is a combination of an aneurysm needle (also called a ligature needle or Cooper needle) at one end, used to pass a ligature around an aneurysm or large blood vessel, and a grooved director on the other (used to guide another instrument into place). Thanks to all who contributed.

A Hewson passer looks more like a lasso, as shown below:

0eDrk7a.jpg

5igha9M.jpg

Grooved surgical director at one end and tongue-tie instrument at the other end.

hh6oJL8.jpg

Well so much for it not being able to grasp anything...

Ronnie

To grasp is to take hold of something. Graspers are instruments used to grasp tissue, typically used in laparoscopic procedures. When you're at the bottom of a hole, stop digging.

8ioalde.jpg

Beleive it to be Director, Grooved, Cooper, 5 Inch

Here is a picture from the joint Army Navy Catalog from 1947.

Also it is also listed in the contents for the case, pocket from the Navy's 1940 catalog.

post-913-0-13271500-1534193352_thumb.jpg

post-913-0-01475800-1534193383_thumb.jpg

To grasp is to take hold of something. Graspers are instruments used to grasp tissue, typically used in laparoscopic procedures. When you're at the bottom of a hole, stop digging.

8ioalde.jpg

Exactly!