One - Line Kabar with pinned pommel

Papas-Toybox

Papas-Toybox

OK, first I've looked online and on multiple forums for a photo or information on the kabar I just bought. No luck so I'm coming to the "experts".

What I have is a one-line marked "KA-BAR" with no other markings on the knife. According to the tang marks chart, it places it in the 1950 - 1970 range. However, others have identified knives with this tang mark as being WW2 versions.

The pommel is attached with what looks like a rolled pin that can be seen from both sides. However, the pommel is not the usual rounded style I most often see, but has sharp edges as you can see in the photos. The pommel design and construction leads me to believe this is post WW2, more likely Korea or Vietnam Issue.

The sheath is very heavy duty. It is sewn and has 9 staples that are approximately 1/4 inch long. I cannot locate any markings on the sheath.

Any help in determining the time period for this knife will be greatly appreciated.

post-164320-0-18842000-1533243599_thumb.jpg

Papas-Toybox

You have a WW2 knife and scabbard thats had the pommel replaced.

Thanks. Guessing this is late WW2 but any ideas on when the pommel could have been replaced based on the method and design.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I would say the pommel is fairly recent/modern replacement looking at the blueing and the roll pin etc.

There was a seller on ebay that would sell a new pommel and pin to repair items.

THis also could have been cur from round stock and then pinned

I have a RH37 a local man did for me 25 years ago.He used a pommel off a 80s era Camillius knife.He then pinned it as well.I had found the knife at a fleamarket with the pommel missing and it had a nice USN BOYT 43 dated scabbard.

He would salvage the pommels and guards as he would take the knives and rehandle with a piece of antler.He also too blade blankes and built steak knife sets and also hunting knives using both antler and micarta for grip material.

Here is the RH37 I mentioned

Just recently I blued the pommel with Oxpho Blueing solution from Brownells.It had been polished bright since the day it was rebuilt.THe pin used is brass to stake the pommel.

post-342-0-18070800-1533268878_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-27074400-1533268886_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-02654400-1533268898_thumb.jpg

Papas-Toybox

Did you install the new pommel? If so how did you compress the washers enough to insert the pin in the predrilled holes thanks.

Btw, it looks awesome.

Did you install the new pommel? If so how did you compress the washers enough to insert the pin in the predrilled holes thanks.

Btw, it looks awesome.

No...the person I took it to replaced the pommel and pinned it.

Im assuming he added a leather washer or two..I believe he had a jig or put it in a vise to get the tight fit.

I had a ROBESON USMC knife I bought with missing pommel.A forum member replace the pommel after making one.

ROBESON restoration topic

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307280-usmc-robeson-restoration/?hl=robeson

Steve extended the tang,made the pommel from round stock.Added the red spacers at the top(the black one was original to the knife).He welded and ground the top of the tang like the originals.The welds were a weak point on the original Robesons.THats why we see so many broken pommels