1937 Military Airplane N.S. Meyer Pilot Rating Wing

mtnman

Thank you gentlemen. Extra hat tip to mtnman, as he really got me thinking about things that I had long forgot about wings. NS Meyer wings are like redheaded step children on Christmas morning, never really getting all the love and attention that the deserve. But thanks to mtnman, I have started to think about NS Meyer wings

P

• 3 weeks later...

Just flew in. I believe it shares the attributes of mtnman's example with the exception of this one being struck in Sterling with a frosted finish. Should I consider this to be an early Senior Pilot? Is there a possibility it might be a 1937 Military Airplane Pilot Rating? It was a value, so either way I'm good. Looking forward to your feedback.

post-151849-0-43616900-1556808107_thumb.jpeg

Hi Steve, splendid wing. I found two or three of these over several years before my search finally ended in acquiring the evidence-based (see Bob Schwartz site under interwar wings regarding Cliff Presley's splendid named military airplane pilot 1937 wing) 1937 military airplane pilot wing configuration without the Sterling mark, a mark which is indicative of an early World War II senior pilot wing on this older style Meyer wing. While this wing is a senior pilot wing, it is likely very early War from a late 1930s pilot who made the five years required for senior pilot and the 1500 hours as the War began and the Meyer manufacturers utilized old stock and updated them with the Sterling mark for World War II. You have found a wing of excellent historical value as well as a wing that I only saw a few examples of as I was looking for the 37 wing. A fine find Steve, don't ever let that one go because you won't see many of them.

Thanks mtnman for the thorough reply, and for starting this thread. The wing will be a fine complement to a 37 (never say never), and in the interim, a reminder to keep looking.

Steve

I'm not so sure I would agree that these wings necessarily represent the later senior pilot rating just because they have been marked STERLING.

If you look, you will find a variety of interwar/pre-WWII USAAC balloon and airship NS Meyer-made wings (as well as a 1920 observer wing: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/btw/us/wilsonmeyerobserver.shtml) that were made in sterling. (for another example to an early wing--link to a USAAC airship wing in STERLING: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/airshipballoon/presleymeyerairshipsterling.shtml)

That being said, I am not 100% convinced that you can really date a Meyer wing simply based on having the sterling mark. I did like Russ's exploration of the two different styles of "stars on stilts", with the multi-piece being earlier than the single piece. Still, I suspect that even that may be a rather dubious distinction as here is an example of a sterling marked senior balloon pilot wing with the one-piece star that was worn by Colonel Gerald G.Johnston (http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/balloon/presleyjohnstonsrballoon.shtml).

I suspect that there will be lots (relatively speaking) of variations of how these wings were being constructed in the later 30's and early 40's, and IMHO it is a bit of a quibble to argue about whether or not to call this a 1937 military airplane pilot or a 1940 senior pilot. :D No matter what, it is a GREAT wing.

Also, its your wing in your collection, you can call it what ever you want!

JCBrownABNPFDR

Just found this thread and thought I'd drop in these pictures. Found these some time back at a flea market. One is marked sterling the other is not. Never have found a pair of wings that these will fit right on. There are several differences between them. I have no history to tell.

post-228890-0-02083700-1556834497.jpg

post-228890-0-48512500-1556834509_thumb.jpg