1/6 b-17 Waist gunners position

P-59A

Super good attention to detail - the pin-ups add a good bit of realism.

I wonder if you could find enough 1/6 50cal ammo to clip the bullets off of. Then you could scatter them inside the plane for the ‘pile of brass’ effect.

Excellent work!

Super good attention to detail - the pin-ups add a good bit of realism.

I wonder if you could find enough 1/6 50cal ammo to clip the bullets off of. Then you could scatter them inside the plane for the ‘pile of brass’ effect.

Excellent work!

I did, everything is on top of them, but look hard and some can be seen like in the last photo..

That's beautiful work. Thanks for posting. I noticed the gas bottle in the lower left corner of your last photo. I found one of those in an antique shop and grabbed it thinking it might have been a "bail out bottle". It was made by Kidde, dated 1943 and marked "gun charger". I discovered later that it's purpose to clear a gun that had jammed, I'd guess with a blast of compressed gas. Interesting to see one as it would have been used in a bomber.

I poured through early B-17 photo's to figure out what I was going to do. In the first few months of the war, and throughout the war modifications were done almost aircraft by aircraft. They had interesting fixes in the early months and I fabricated some items and modified others. Each airman has a items from 4 or 5 company's. No one company got it 100% correct. This is kit bashing big time. The hull is a modified Dragon B-17

Very nice! Everything looks good but I like that you took the photos in B&W. I felt like a kid again as I felt I was watching the TV show 12 O'Clock High. Nice work!

Semper Fi.

Manny

Very nice! Everything looks good but I like that you took the photos in B&W. I felt like a kid again as I felt I was watching the TV show 12 O'Clock High. Nice work!

Semper Fi.

Manny

Manny, You nailed it! I took all sorts of color photo's with all kinds of lighting. B&W was the key and every photo needs to tell a story. Good job!

That's beautiful work. Thanks for posting. I noticed the gas bottle in the lower left corner of your last photo. I found one of those in an antique shop and grabbed it thinking it might have been a "bail out bottle". It was made by Kidde, dated 1943 and marked "gun charger". I discovered later that it's purpose to clear a gun that had jammed, I'd guess with a blast of compressed gas. Interesting to see one as it would have been used in a bomber.

Sometimes a round will jam in the chamber and the head will sheer off from the extractor bolt. You can open the bolt and ram a rod down the barrel to clear the round or open the bolt and blow air down the barrel to clear the round.

• 7 months later...
Government Issue

I love it. There are so many small details such as the bandage rolls and crew coffee thermos. Are these two of the DID waist gunner sets mated together?

I love it. There are so many small details such as the bandage rolls and crew coffee thermos. Are these two of the DID waist gunner sets mated together?

Yup, it took me a minute to figure out how to do it.

• 4 years later...

Beautiful, just beautiful. Are they the high altitude shearling jackets and pants? I know the Navy's version was the M445a and the pants were the M446's. I think the Army Air Corps had their own model. One dealer said the pants were so abundant after the war that you couldn't give them away. Different story now I believe.