USS Ranger Chiquita Station patch - Contra Cruise 1983

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on exactly what this patch might represent and where Chiquita Station was/is? The patch is Philippine made, guessing mid 1980's vintage. It looks like the USS Ranger, CV-61, made a few Westpac/Indian Ocean cruises between 1981 and 1984 so is it possible Chiquita station might have been in that area? I was able to find out that there is a small island located near Subic Bay, Philippines named Chiquita Island but I don't know if that is it or not. Embroidered around the patch is: 100 Consecutive, Systems-Free Hours*Contacts Rigged*Training Hours*Airshows. Any idea what all that refers to?

post-2744-0-13113600-1533168078_thumb.jpg

Ha ha, what a coincidence :) Thank you SS. I looked around a couple of days ago before deciding to post today but I obviously missed your post from a couple of days ago.

Salvage Sailor

Ha ha, what a coincidence :) Thank you SS. I looked around a couple of days ago before deciding to post today but I obviously missed your post from a couple of days ago.

Sympatico Patch collectors? Or are you just 'all powerfull' in projecting thoughts.......

• 1 month later...

Was part of Battle Group Echo staff on Ranger for 83 deployment, but was in Japan at 7th Fleet scheduling conference when BG left SDiego and made sharp left turn for show of force off Central America. I believe official name for the op area was "Ranger Station", but Chiquita Station became the popular unofficial title. We operated for about 5 weeks off of San Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Did air show for visiting Presidents and Ministers from those countries plus Panama. Maybe Guatemala too.

Getting to BG from Japan was like James Bond movie. Traveled in civies, no military duffle bags or other gear visible. Met by guy named George at Panama City who hustled me out to Howard AFB where nobody had any idea what to do with me. Finally found our staff Ops Officer and Asst. Intel Officer who had flown back to DC for briefs on what the BG was to do at Ranger/Chiquita station. Real interesting detour on way to WestPac.

Both the patches posted here started showing up during our first stop in Subic. Never got one myself, so do not know anything specific about their origins.

PacNWNAM

Salvage Sailor

Thanks for posting these details on the '83 deployment. It's always great to have this first hand info to square off what we already know.

Aloha