McCord 318A rim question

glenm

So I'm sitting busy unpicking 4 layers of repaints off a swivel loop McCord M1 when I get bored and uncover the heat/lot number - 318A.

Which raises a question - why does it have a front-sem manganese rim fitted to it? Even if was a reworked fixed loop, did they fit new rims on them?

Cheers,

Glen

Keep picking; you might find an 'S' stamp. 318A, manganese rim, front seam, sounds an awful lot like a Schlueter.

Nah, the top paint is: (1) dark-green reenactor "medic" over (2) re-enactor green mixed with sand over (3) 'Nam-era green over (4) some OD repaint. What's underneath is a fairly solid original paint.

Thinking about it, the original paint is that not-really-corked type, that's true.

Maybe my shell shape spidey-sense is not up to scratch tonight. What do you think, Grant?

That's a Schlueter alright! ;)

Cheers guys. The rear rim really stands out in the pic much more than I'd noticed in hand. Probably to do with the thick overpaint altering the shape haha. It'll be nice when it's completed - it's always good to be able to be rough with overpaint and pick the damn stuff off but leaving the original paintwork intact :)

Suggestions on the style of straps to refit to it? What buckle style and color web shall I go for?

Suggestions on the style of straps to refit to it? What buckle style and color web shall I go for?

It looks like that heat stamp is right around the transition point from OD#3 webbing to OD#7, so either would likely be appropriate with a flat brass or steel buckle.

post-11015-0-94561800-1533134797.jpg