How to tell if a Jeep is US Navy

avigo

Hi guys,

Quick question. I've been looking at a few 1950s Jeeps to possible restore. One seems to be US Navy. What is a sure way to tell that it is in fact US Navy?

Thanks!

RustyCanteen

There were some post WWII radio jeeps made for the Navy, but other than those I would suspect any other vehicles would have had a USN contract or property tag somewhere on the dashboard.

There were some post WWII radio jeeps made for the Navy, but other than those I would suspect any other vehicles would have had a USN contract or property tag somewhere on the dashboard.

Where would you look for that specifically? Trying to have the seller take some more pics

RustyCanteen

Hi

It would depend on the vehicle, you might try the g503.com forum to find out for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few questions, My inquisitive mind wants to know. This gray paint, it was first applied in WWII? Was it used only on vehicles stateside and at western hemisphere bases IE up in areas of Canada, Panama Canal Zone, Puerto Rico, Cuba etc etc, and at the rear-ist of areas overseas IE, Iceland, the UK, New Hebrides, New Zealand etc etc and not in forward combat zones? And finally when did they stop painting these Gray?

• 5 weeks later...

In 1955 the Navy still had gray Jeeps. The Burton Island, AGB-1, had a 1948 Jeep 2-door wagon on board. It was used as an errand

vehicle, mail pick up etc.

Chuck

In 1955 the Navy still had gray Jeeps. The Burton Island, AGB-1, had a 1948 Jeep 2-door wagon on board. It was used as an errand

vehicle, mail pick up etc.

Chuck

Thanks, answers one portion of the question.