N.S. MEYER USN Observer (Tactical) WING

Costa

The Rooster

I dont think its the real deal because the hallmark is stamped and there is no metal content.

Ive read to always look for the three hallmarks with meyers and the marks should be raised and not stamped.

Im new to this but I think its a faker.???

The Rooster

Well, I dont really know.... But the wing on Bobs site has an AMICO hallmark and the metal content....

1/20 10K GonS

The wing above only has that suspect meyer stamp.

Attachments different on the back and it looks too brand new...?

Thats whats making me think its a faker. Its also got two extra side holes and only one hole in the center

Heres the back of the one on Bobs site.

It might be real, I just get the hebegeebees from it. That stamp!

post-181333-0-54617200-1532835690_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

opps. Okay. Didnt see that one.

Must be then. I just read alot about how the logo shouldnt be stamped etc etc.

?? Meyers?

I can go either way on this wing. Just an FYI, I recently handled a NSM marked flight surgeon wing that had this type of finish and hallmark. It had the correct pin and hinge, but something about that wing (and this one) gave me pause. It was sort of like the Angus and Coote wings, it was too good, if you know what I mean.

I have had a few NSM marked USN wings that I think are vintage and they have a different feel than these wings. Even though the USN TO wings are post war, they aren't that much post war that things would have changed so much.

My feeling is that these wings may be a another set of restrikes.

At the end of the day, if you are going to buy an NSM wing, you have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable with them in your collection. No matter what, there WILL be some collectors who agree with you and some who don't. For myself, I would probably not be comfortable adding this wing to my collection with all the caveats that this is based on pictures, etc etc....

MastersMate

The March 1946 issue of the US Navy magazine ALL HANDS has a small article announcing the establishment of and usage for these USN Observer (Tactical) wings. There is a photo you may be able to enlarge for the original details..