Quick question about navy instructors in WWII

tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride

This may be a silly question for some but what were Drill Instructors called in the Navy during World War II. I know that today they are called RDC's were they called the same thing in WWII?

Thanks

Salvage Sailor

Recruit Training Company's were organized by Regiment, Battalion, Company, etc. and drilled with manual of arms, marching in formation, obstacle course......similar to groundpounders. Post WWII, Cold War and Vietnam Era, they were always referred to as Company Commander (CC). It was probably the same in WWII.

It was in the mid 1970's that NTC/RTC's (Naval/Recruit Training Center) were reorganized when they stopped drilling with rifles. Some of the ex Boot Camp instructors on the site (i.e. Sigsaye) can chime in on this from their personal experience in pushing boots. I was in the last "Company" at RTC Orlando and on our Company standard we had "Last of a Proud Tradition" emblazoned on it. I have a photo of it somewhere around here and will post it when I come across it.

USN Company Commander https://www.gjenvick.com/Military/NavyArchives/USNTC-Yearbooks/GreatLakes-TheKeel/CompanyCommanderAtGreatLakesNTC.html

Salvage Sailor

Found a photo I posted on the site in 2009 regarding USN RTC flags

Our standard was made by the recruits (we had 80 men in our company at RTC Orlando) and we also were awarded the coveted Brigade Award standard as the Honor Company and our standard was emblazoned with the motto "Company 136 Last of a Proud Tradition".
The photo below depicts from left:
RTC Orlando standard, Company standard, Academic standard with streamers, Brigade Award, Company 136 Guidon, Physical fitness standard with streamers, and the Leadership standard. The only one we were not awarded (which was killing our red-roper as he wanted to make a 'clean sweep' prior to retirement) was the Infantry standard.

Company 136 RTC Orlando 001.JPG

Company 136 RTC Orlando 002.jpg

Salvage, they were called Company Commanders From 1911, they were Comlany ommanders. My uncle enlisted in 1939, he had a Company Commander. My dad enlisted in 1947. He had. Company Commander. I enlisted in 2972, I had a Company Commander. From 1985-1990, I pushed Boots in Great Lakes We were Company Commsnders.

Salvage Sailor

There ya go,

Even though the organizational names changed (company to division, etc) the instructors were, and I assume still are, called Company Commanders today.

Here's a page from THE KEEL, the "cruise book" for NTC Great Lakes. This is 1952 but I'd imagine few changes had been made in recruit training organization (or curriculum) since the end of WWII.

This page raises the question, "What is an RPOC?

company.jpg

Salvage Sailor

RPCO - Recruit Petty Officer Chief - Later a RCPO, Recruit Chief Petty Officer - He usually wore a Sabre during parades and ceremonies as seen in this photo I posted above (bottom rank, right)

RPCO - Recruit Petty Officer Chief - Later a RCPO, Recruit Chief Petty Officer - He usually wore a Sabre during parades and ceremonies as seen in this photo I posted above (bottom rank, right)

So this guy is a Boot?

Salvage Sailor

Yes,

Appointed by the Company Commander

The company had the following positions with recruits appointed to them, all with temporary ranks

RPCO or RCPO - (RCPO w/Sabre)

MAA (RPO1) Master at Arms

(2) Section Leaders (RPO1)

Yeoman

Asst. Yeoman

Guidon

Yes,

Appointed by the Company Commander

The company had the following positions with recruits appointed to them, all with temporary ranks

RPCO or RCPO - (RCPO w/Sabre)

MAA (RPO1) Master at Arms

(2) Section Leaders (RPO1)

Yeoman

Asst. Yeoman

Guidon

These were standouts of the class I gather.

Salvage Sailor

Indeed we were......I was the Asst Yeoman, got a meritorious advancement when I graduated