Is This a Bona Fide “Thing”?

SDC

Appears to be made from a left over/cut down bayonet.

I have one that is shorter but still exibits the fuller/groove from the bayonet.Mine came from a WW2 Marine who was stationed state side during the war.

Never figured out if it was issue or something private purchase the company made from parts

It is called a "Pal double edged dagger" in the price guide, page 33. Supposidly made from Model 1905 bayonets.

I don't think it was an issue knife either.

It comes in several blade lengths.

post-165606-0-39843500-1532561430_thumb.jpg

I have never seen one in person, but everything I have read says they are very rare and worth a lot of much more than a standard knife. The seller had it with a buy it now price and it was a lot but I could not find the listing to see what he wanted. I guess now we will find out how much it is worth. I had not heard they were made with a bayonet blade. It seems like at least one picture had the R36 on the blade.

Dennis aka nifman

I did not realize these existed. Making a good use out of the tips from the cut down 16 inch to 10 inch 1905E1 bayonets. An addition to the garden hoes made by AFH from the left over tips. Any other uses known?

Chuck

wouldn't it take from 9 to 12 inches of bayonet material to form these blanks? I suppose a tang could be welded or brazed to a shorter blade to form a tang, but that doesn't seem like a good practice.

• 3 weeks later...

One taken apart to solve the mystery. No evidence of welding. It looks like they were made from the solid tip of the bayonet, the fuller continues the entire length of the tang.

post-165606-0-71331200-1534024783_thumb.jpg

Based upon what I see I agree that there is a really good chance these could have been made by PAL from left over blades, leather for handles, pommels, and guards from their wartime knife & bayonet production. Have never seen one before this thread. SKIP