Virginia Military Institute (VMI)

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

Saw this at a local antique store, posting it here because I know it's at least USN, so it's not unknown! But I was wondering if anyone could tell me what era it's from? It seems to be quite old to me. 40s or lower maybe? If anyone could tell me I'd appreciate It! Thanks!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

It doesn't look Navy: it looks like a military school uniform patterned after the ones worn by Army cadets at West Point.

RememberThe5thESB

What era would it be then? Strange that it has USN on it then...

What era would it be then? Strange that it has USN on it then...

That style has been used for a long, long time and would be hard to date short of finding a dated tailor's tag sewn in one of the inside pockets.

I wonder if the USN is or was sewn on the uniform of VMI cadets who are in the Navy ROTC?

RememberThe5thESB

Sadly I can't take a look right now since I'm on the road visiting family, but I can say that it was definitely made of a heavy wool, it felt quite rough on the outside. Similar to say, early WW2 pants, or the wool blankets. Is it known whether or not a more modern one would be made of wool or more of a cotton polyester blend?

If the cape lining is red it is indeed a VMI Great Coat. All VMi cadets must take 4 years of ROTC. The USN probably ID's the ROTC group the owner was a member of.

RememberThe5thESB

Now, another question. I'm a bit of a newbie collector, so what exactly does VMI stand for?

Now, another question. I'm a bit of a newbie collector, so what exactly does VMI stand for?

. Virginia Military Institute. Its a military school in Lexington Virginia. This is NOT a Navy coat

RememberThe5thESB

Alright thanks for that. The tag is labeled navy pea coat at the antique store, my bad on the title of the thread. Didn't know what it was!

definitely made of a heavy wool, it felt quite rough on the outside. Similar to say, early WW2 pants, or the wool blankets. Is it known whether or not a more modern one would be made of wool or more of a cotton polyester blend?

There is a reason you never see anyone wearing those coats who is not a military school or academy cadet: they are by long tradition heavy rough wool in battleship gray and proably not much fun to wear.

RememberThe5thESB

For reenacting purposes I've worn the entire GI wool uniform.. I don't know what you're on about but... I think they're kind of comfy haha!

RememberThe5thESB

Although I suppose this jacket is a bit too rough of a wool.

Jumpin Jack

The rank stripes indicate that of the 1st Captain--highest rank within the Corps. However, the small stripes are used to indicate the class, but six! goes two years past the normal four for the senior year. Jack

When you see these cadet uniforms at flea markets they are always idd As Confederate with outrageous prices looking for a sucker. With USN on it I guess that was out of the question.

Definitely a VMI coat, and appears to be relatively recent from the lining and overall appearance. I don't have any idea why it has 6 class stripes and the USN lettering but I don't think it was done officially. How are the letters applied? They almost look iron-on.

RememberThe5thESB

Hm, interesting. I can't remember about the USN. But I can't take a look, currently out of state for family reasons but if it's still there I'll take a look.