147th FIS question

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

Acquired this 147th Fighter Interceptor Squadron patch (one I've needed for eons) from ebay, and the more I look at it, the more I wonder if the martian/spaceman is a rendition of an actual character from a comic book or cartoon. Anyone recognize him?

post-1949-0-30008700-1532464114.jpg

Funny, I thought the same thing and went looking a few years back. But I found nothing, though it does look like something I have seen somewhere else. I don't keep ANG anymore but that is a really nice pick-up!

Randy

F 106 Pilot

This character is from a local Pittsburgh disc jockeys show. The character was known I believe as the Ovacron. He was quite famous in the area at the time the design was chosen . I have the disc jockeys name and the name of his show in my records but they are at my other home. I was told this by a pilot that flew with the 147th FIS when I was trying to locate one for my collection. I ask him the origin of the patch as I could not tell what it was either. I finally found one but it was a long hard search. It is a patch that does not appear very often and mine is different from yours as mine has the designation FIS on the patch. I believe that yours is from the Fighter Bombers days 1952 -1955. I was interested in this patch also but went above my buying price. I collect all ANG fighter squadrons as I was a ANG pilot.

Ben

Steindaddie

Ben,

Thanks for the assist!

I figured this martian had to be based on an actual, but relatively obscure, character. Normally, most patches have an identifiable design, or if a cartoon character, one that is recognizable. This guy on the 147th looks too imaginative, and is so detailed, it just didn't look to be something cooked up by the average squadron Joe-blow. (Well, at least the Joe-blow's in the squadrons I belonged to.)

If you get the time to post your 147th patch, many would enjoy.

~Will

PS. Yes, this thing cost more than I like to pay for a patch too. (Code word: "WAGFO" - Wife Ain't Gonna Find Out)

F 106 Pilot

I will try to remember when I get back to my other home to make a scan of my 147th FIS patch. I try not to WAGFO to often myself. If you get caught there might be little hell to pay.

Ben