United States Merchant Marine

SemperParatus

SemperParatus

I have enjoyed and learned a great deal from this forum and thought I might share my 50 plus years of collecting items and groups to members of the US Merchant Marine. Among other aspects of collecting to this group I have also authored numerous magazine articles dealing with the WW II Merchant Marine and their part in the war at sea. I played a major roll in getting the former Soviet Union, later the Russian Federation to award the men of our Merchant Marine and the Navy Armed Guard the 40th Anniversary of Victory in The Great Patriotic War Medal. Would be happy to share my knowledge and in turn to learn more history of our Merchant Marine from others who share this interest.

Welcome aboard! I wrote Blue Seas, Red Stars, about Soviet awards of the USSR to the US Navy and Merchant Marine during WW2. I also had the opportunity to visit St Petersburg several times with the Polar Convoy Association. Fascinating stuff!

SemperParatus

Certainly some very hard earned medals and ribbons for the North Russia Runs not forgetting the supply route via the Persian Gulf. Although I had the invite to the Dervish gathering the cost of getting there was just too prohibitive, but many friends in the North Russia Convoy group and a few from the USA did go. Some fascinating history to be sure and an area that few people know very much about. Some very scarce groupings to men who sailed in PQ-17 and other convoys make for some in depth collecting but I have to say that above all the honors and awards to me the very best part of my experience was to know so many participants and friends and on a first name basis. Thanks for the welcome.

SemperParatus

THANKS GLAD TO BE ON BOARD. I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR AREA OF INTEREST BUT WILL KEEP YOU IN MY CONTACT LIST SHOULD ANYTHING TURN UP.

SemperParatus

If anyone is interested in the U.S. Merchant Marine I would like to learn of your interests my main area of study has been WW II and the war at sea all theaters in which the U.S. Merchant Marine took a part. I have a good general knowledge of the ribbons, medals and other awards as well as the relative documentation and I am more than willing to share what I know. I am not very strong on uniforms or rating badges etc. but do have a general knowledge of same.