Yet another fake Purple Heart on eBay

Dave

I've been asked many times how people can drop a good bit of money on what's obviously a fake Purple Heart, this particular one named spuriously to Anthony H. Maidment. Here you have it...case in point...engraved in a style absolutely not related at all to the US government. But...at $100+ in less than 24 hours after posting, it will probably end up being someone's costly education.

Pictures posted for record's sake...

Screenshot_38.jpg

Screenshot_35.jpg

Screenshot_36.jpg

Screenshot_37.jpg

Have we done a forum thread teaching what to watch out for in these engraved pieces, something that shows the correct engraving styles for each era?

We don't have one in a single thread but several different threads showcasing engraving.

As I recall, hasn't that seller been collecting and also selling REAL Purple Hearts for years? Like 20+? The seller ID seems mighty familiar from the late 1990's and early 2000's when eBay still allowed the sale of the things...

I've bought medals from this seller before. I wonder if he even knows that it's a fake?

Kurt

Me -

"Thought I would advise you, this medal is fake or at least the engraving is, engraving is 100% not period original government engraving! This has been discussed across the board on multiple forums and everyone has agreed this piece is not good! I suggest you take it down so you dont take someones good money for a fake heart! Thanks"

Seller

I've been collecting over fifty years, have had more PH's then I can remember. PH is standard USN/USMC type, engraving is darkened block letters that can vary considerably in size & type on army awards from hand to machine engraved (USN/USMC awards do tend to certain styles, with rank & branch). Have had; and seen, them engraved in block letters in all capitals, capitals and lower case, fancy script, etc. Picked it up 'cheap'. If someone was going to fake it why mess up a nice silver USN/USMC PH worth quite a bit by itself with an army name, and why not fake the SS too? I have no doubt it's 100% real, speaks for itself. Be glad to send better photos direct.

Clearly the seller is losing his mind because the heart is named to an army KIA, not a USN or USMC KIA. Maybe he is getting a little old or confused!

Clearly the seller is losing his mind because the heart is named to an army KIA, not a USN or USMC KIA. Maybe he is getting a little old or confused!

I've been on eBay since December 1995. There's a reason I don't go and tell people the items they are selling are fake...most have no interest in listening nor do they care.

CNY Militaria

Honestly, I would have probably responded somewhat defensively if I received the exact message you sent to the seller. There is a more tactful, less accusatory way to advise folks about things they are selling. In the end however, I am in line with Dave with regard to not messaging eBay sellers about such things. With few exceptions, most have already made up their mind about the items they sell.

I usually do not message the seller but due to the fact I have bought from him previously I figured he might see I was not trying to make false claims! Clearly he bought it cheap and is going off the logic if it is cheap it must be good! Another seller going for the all mighty dollar even if it means peddling a fake item!

Greetings,

I remember this guy from shows when I lived in Texas. He knows exactly what he's selling.......

Best,

Peter

ocsfollowme

When did Ebay start allowing the sale of PH's?

Seems like it has been two to three months. Not sure if the person reporting them died or eBay just doesnt care anymore.

I've bought medals from this seller before. I wonder if he even knows that it's a fake?

Kurt

He used to turn up some pretty nice stuff Kurt. I bought from him years ago. He was an active bidder on PHs too at times.

I sent the seller a message detailing everything that's wrong with that Purple Heart. He knows who I am and he knows about the research I've done on Purple Hearts over the years. Based on the evidence I sent him he agreed it is best that he pull the Purple Heart off eBay.

He is also curious about finding out who I think is engraving these medals.

Kurt

When did Ebay start allowing the sale of PH's?

It has been a few months now.

There are Purple Hearts, DSC, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Silver Star, all of the before "against Ebay rules" medals.

I figure that

1. It just got to be too much of a hassle to regulate

2. They realized that they were missing out on good money for this stuff.

I still recall one creative ad on Ebay during the ban...it was titled German / Japanese Markmanship Medal. It was a rather nice Purple Heart.

And to think that I got banned from Ebay for a day for trying to sell my valor medals.

Not to get anyone too excited about selling Purple Hearts on eBay...they still pull them, but it seems more random than not. Maybe the person who was "hot and heavy" at pulling them left or was promoted and the job fell to a new moderator who only pulls them from time to time...but any way that the behind the scenes happened, they still get pulled.

Not to get anyone too excited about selling Purple Hearts on eBay...they still pull them, but it seems more random than not. Maybe the person who was "hot and heavy" at pulling them left or was promoted and the job fell to a new moderator who only pulls them from time to time...but any way that the behind the scenes happened, they still get pulled.

They may have been re-assigned to pull the plug on Cuban and North Korean paper money and coins.

They may have been re-assigned to pull the plug on Cuban and North Korean paper money and coins.

Also pulling items from Iraq and Iran! I was selling a very high grade coin from Iran from the 1970s, I went to relist it after the 30 days were up and they informed me that items from Iran could no longer be sold because they could cannot prove when they were Brought into the US!