WW2 Battle of Kasserine Pass February 1943

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Thought I would get back into modeling and I decided I wanted to put together a diorama this time. I wanted to do something that involved some vehicles and thought that the North African campaign would be a good place to look for ideas as the landscape should be fairly easy since most of the fighting was done in barren desert landscapes. Now I decided on the battle of Kasserine Pass to be the focus of my diorama and now the research phase begins. From what I learned so far from the few pictures I could find, the landscape is dirt roads and a few small desert shrubs. Also some sand dunes and hills. Now for vehicles, I read the Germans used Tiger I's, Panzer IV's, and Panzer III's, pretty sure the Panzer III was the most common tank used by the Germans, and the most common used by the US would be the M3 Lee. Curious though as to how abundant the M4 Sherman was by this point, along with the pretty much obsolete M3 Stuart light tank.

I'm also just looking for a general history of the battle, I'm having a bit of trouble finding reliable sources for the battle so it's hard to read up on it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Hunt

Proud Kraut

Good to see that there's some new diorama on the way. Please start a thread in the modeling section when work beginns. You'll get a lot of usefull help there. Looking forward to read more about your project soon.

Lars

huntssurplus

Good to see that there's some new diorama on the way. Please start a thread in the modeling section when work beginns. You'll get a lot of usefull help there. Looking forward to read more about your project soon.

Lars

Thanks for the support, Lars! I will make sure to start a thread in the modeling section soon, just want to take some time to research the battle and get a good idea of what I want to create! Looking forward to sharing my progress!

Hunt

I don't know what kind of armor backed them up, but know that the Anti-tank company of the 168th Infantry (34th ID) were armed with 37mm door knockers and company was pretty well swept up as POW's. It was hard day for many Iowa communities.