Civil War Exhibit, Virginia Museum of History and Culture, Richmond

gwb123

Virginia Museum of History & Culture
428 N Boulevard, Richmond
Virginia 23220

Monday-Saturday 10-5

Sunday 10–5 (Galleries and museum shop)

https://www.virginiahistory.org/

Traditionally, most history buffs looking to find the Civil War in Richmond have gone, deservedly so, to the Museum of the Confederacy and the neighboring White House, the wartime residence of Jefferson Davis. This museum is now evolving into the American Civil War museum with new exhibit space opening at the historic Tredegar Iron Works in early 2019, and will still be the focus of most Civil War buffs.

https://www.richmond.com/entertainment/museums/american-civil-war-museum-announces-plans-to-build-into-hillside/article_b5d74dae-3b81-55c4-993f-087940395481.html

But if you have more time, or want a broader perspective on the rich history of Virginia, make time to stop at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture. While not overly devoted to the Civil War period, there are surprises to be found.

AA 250.jpg

Starting with...

If you walk into the main entrance and pay your suggested donation fee of $10, and then make an immediate left, you will see this...

AA 1a.jpg

This is no mere painting hanging on the wall... it is the size of the wall!

You are in the Memorial Military Murals Hall, which features heroic paintings of the icons of the Confederacy, as well as foot soldiers.

These were painted in the 1930's by a French artist, who himself was a survivor of WWI.

This photo shows their relative size compared to the viewers in front of them.

This link will give you additional information as well as added photos. It also has a numbered guide identifying all of the individuals of Lee's staff that are shown.

https://www.virginiahistory.org/exhibitions/memorial-military-murals-charles-hoffbauer

AA 1.jpg

Once you get into the main museum, you may head to "The Story of Virginia" which is the main hall. It is described as experiencing16,000 years of history in 2 hours.

"This 10,500 square-foot exhibition interprets 16,000 years of Virginia history and features more than 500 artifacts, maps, letters, and diaries ranging from the earliest stone tools shaped by humans to a satellite built by high school students in 2013."

Unfortunately, due to poor planning, I only had an hour and 45 minutes to see this and the special exhibits on WWI. So I bypassed the early history and went straight to the corner that discussed the Civil War.

You will note the sign in the background "Choosing Sides" behind the remains of a Confederate uniform and a Northern Zouave ensemble.

AA 9.jpg

This uniform was in remarkably good condition, and much better than the photos show. When reading this, keep in mind that Union forces retained control of the area around Ft. Monroe for the duration of the war, and it was used as a staging ground for attacks on Confederate Virginia.

AA 10+.jpg

AA 11.jpg

AA 13.jpg

Confederate Battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, along with a clarifying placard. This was well worn and somewhere between 3 and 4 feet wide.

AA 61.jpg

AA 60.jpg

The star of the exhibit as far as I was concerned was this uniform belonging to J.E.B Stuart, along with his cavalry yellow sash.

AA 20.jpg

AA 21.jpg

AA 23.jpg

AA 24.jpg

AA 25.jpg

Standing next to Stuart's uniform was one belonging to a surgeon, along with a lovely display of medical tools and devices for handling battlefield injuries.

AA 30.jpg

AA 35.jpg

AA 36.jpg

There were a number of firearms on display, but these had an interesting provenance...

AA 80.jpg

AA 81.jpg

The war dragged onto it's bloody conclusion...This is not a mural, but a normal sized painting of Union Cavalry assaulting formed lines of infantry. I am not sure who the central figure is, but it might be Phil Sheridan. I apologize, but I did not capture the name of the engagement. This almost seemed to be there as a counter point to the heroic murals at the front of the museum.

AA 100.jpg

Richmond would eventually fall, and the Union would be restored. Note the quote from Robert E. Lee who did his best to encourage his country men to rejoin the Union.

AA 300.jpg

AA 301.jpg

Of course, with the death of Lincoln, Reconstruction did not go well. I apologize for the quality of the photo, but this is an actual, genuine carpet bag, which eventually gave it's name to those who came from the North to exploit the defeated South.

AA 110.jpg

Objects from a time capsule, added to the Museum's building in 1912 recalling Richmond's role as the capitol of the Confederacy. The object in the center of the photo in the green felt lined box appears to be Seal of the Confederacy.

AA 250.jpg

AA 251.jpg

Lest anyone forget the actual losses from the Civil War... this riderless horse is dedicated to the fallen of both sides and sits in front of the museum. Note the empty scabbard and the weariness if not sadness of the horse.

AA 500.jpg

If you consider adding the Virginia Museum of History and Culture to your trip, it adjoins the grounds of the former Confederate Soldier's Home where the chapel still stands as well as the National Headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Please see this thread for more information. And all of this is right next to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313181-confederate-memorial-chapel-richmond-va/

And of course, for the broader range of the history of Virginia, there is so much more to see in this museum.

I hope you enjoyed this short tour.

AA 3.jpg

Rakkasan187

Gil,

Very nice pictures and information panels.. Thank you for taking the time to post these historic American military artifacts..

Leigh

This is a great exhibit - I was there last weekend. They also currently have a temporary exhibit on the American home front during World War 1 that is well worth seeing.

This is a great exhibit - I was there last weekend. They also currently have a temporary exhibit on the American home front during World War 1 that is well worth seeing.

Selected items from that will be covered in another thread.