hemingway medal

mccooper

Am adding the Hemingway story to my WWI display at the museum, in a section discussing ARC volunteers, but I am having difficulty as to which medal the Italian government awarded him. What seem to be the most cogent report, supposedly from his friend Ted Brumbach in a letter to Hemingway's parents, mentions the Croce di Guerra, or war cross. Another source reports the silver medal of valor. The only photo of him with ribbon bars seems to show the "macaroni" bar, or 1915-18 war medal. The other ribbon is too indistinct. My guess is Croce di Guerra. Would appreciate any info pro or con, or...…? Thank you.

mccooper

post-151387-0-60158000-1532110904_thumb.png

world war I nerd

I don't recall the source, but in my notes on AEF foreign awards, I have Hemingway down as receiving the Italian "Al Valore Militare" (Italian Medal of Valor) The medal was awarded in two grades - bronze & silver for an act of bravery on the battlefield. However, I'm uncertain whether Hemingway was awarded the bronze or silver version though.

Attached is the obverse & reverse of the bronze version of the Italian Al Valore Militare ...

The ribbon is the same on both the bronze and silver medals. The design of the medal is the same as well. The only difference being the material from which the medal was made, i.e. bronze or silver.

post-5143-0-36225600-1532126398.jpg

post-5143-0-00901100-1532126401.jpg

world war I nerd

If we are to believe Wikipedia, Hemingway was awarded the silver Medal of Valor.

The following is from the WW I portion of Hemingway's Wikipedia biography:

"On July 8, he was seriously wounded by mortar fire, having just returned from the canteen bringing chocolate and cigarettes for the men at the front line.[17] Despite his wounds, Hemingway assisted Italian soldiers to safety, for which he received the Italian Silver Medal of Bravery."

The Wikipedia source for the above was the 1992 biography on Hemingway by James R. Mellow titled, "A Life Without Consequences."

Thanks! Brumbach's letter mentions two things: a medal for valor and the Croce di Guerra. The Red Cross calls it the Silver Medal of Valor. I am going to use the Valor medal based on the fact that Brumbach could have made a contemporary error. The War Cross was handed out over one million times by the 20s. During WWI the Medal of Valor was only awarded 38.614 tikes. Seems as if Hemingway's bravery merited more than the War Cross. Would appreciate any other thoughts, as I can always correct the placard later wth ease.

mccooper

It was the Silver Medal of Valor. We have several Hemingway at our museum since he had a huge connection to Michigan and we have a 1917 Model T ambulance. We recently had a Hemingway Society President and Author do a presentation on Hemingway in Michigan and his medals and "stories" were a huge part of the talk. It seems that old Ernie liked to heavily embellish, even when he didn't really need to and the medal was one instance of this. Scott

Scott-

Thank you for your confirmation! In re-reading Brumbach's comment, the words "..for valor" and then "...Croce di Guerra" did not add up. Have changed the verbiage and feel comfortable now that our story is correct. Which is your museum? As an Ohioan, I may be able to visit sometime. All the best,

mccooper

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Italy!
I confirm that Hemingway was decorated with a silver medal for valor ("Medaglia d'argento al Valor Militare - MAVM) and here the reason:

" HEMINGWAY Ernest Miller, from Illinois Park (Chicago), American Red Cross lieutenant - Officer of the American Red Cross, charged with bringing comfort items to the Italian troops engaged in combat, gave proof of courage and self-denial. Struck by numerous fragments of enemy bombards, with admirable spirit of brotherhood, before being treated, he gave generous assistance to the most severely injured Italian soldiers from the same blast and did not allow themselves to be transported elsewhere until after they had been evicted. - Fossalta (Piave), 8 July 1918"

I found it on the website of "Nastro Azzurro" association (http://www.istitutonastroazzurro.org/)

Looking at the photos available online I see another medal ribbon that probably be the "Medaglia commemorativa della guerra italo-austriaca 1915-1918" (Medal commemorating the Italian-Austrian war 1915-1918)

or, also we called it in Italy, "Coniata nel bronzo nemico" (coined in the enemy bronze).

Nathan

post-164243-0-95050100-1533137107_thumb.jpg

Nathan 94-

Mille grazie!! Great to hear it from the source. I have corrected my display text to show that it was the silver medal for valor, and also the 1915-1918 medal, same as received by members of the 332nd Infantry Regiment. All the best,

mccooper