TCQC patches

TMBN

Tom Dinackus
How about the first Infantry they used Victory as well and the RED ONE might account for the red color.

I don't think this patch is from 1st Inf Div, as they were still in Vietnam in 1969, and no elements of 70th Armor were assigned to 1 ID.

Tom Dinackus
I don't think this patch is from 1st Inf Div, as they were still in Vietnam in 1969, and no elements of 70th Armor were assigned to 1 ID.

Here is yet another TCQC patch that I am hoping someone can ID. The design is clearly based on the 70th Armor DI, and in 1966 there were three battalions from 70th Armor active (1st through 3rd), and all were assigned to 24 ID(M) in Germany. This patch was presumably issued to the battalion that scored the highest at tank gunnery in 1966. Can anyone confirm that? Does anyone know which battalion was awarded this patch? Were similar patches issued in 24 ID(M) in other years?

scan0083.pdf

DwightPruitt
In those days, USAREUR was such a shambles (drugs, racial problems, no money for maint or training), we LTs used to look at each other and say...... "Yeah, right!! We're the SPEED BUMP of NATO".

I always figured the speed bump thing to be true until the leading Soviet echelons captured a few kasernes. Once they saw how much stereo equipment and cameras the average American private owned, they would have defected on the spot. ;)

DwightPruitt
Three more unknown M60A2 TCQC patches . . . .

Tom, there is another patch similar to the M60A2 Gunnery Qualified patch. I wore a M60A2 Instructor patch as a TC Holdover in C/1/1st Tng Bde in 1978. I'll get it scanned.

I have the M60A2 Gunnery Qualified patch that I picked up while I while I was in the service and for the life of me, I can't remember where.

The only time I was at Ft Hood was in 1982 with 2/10 Cav doing an IRR AT. I never left the post so it couldn't have came from there. My unit in Germany wore the typical 3AD gunnery Qualified patch.

Hope you people don't mind me butting in. I thought I'd show my two TCQC (Trash Crew Qualification Course) patches, the two square ones, I recieved for qualifying my tank, M60A1, at Grafenwöhr, Range 80.

The '70's in Germany, the dollar was 3,20 Deutsch Mark, when I first got to my unit, 4/73rd Armor, it was just reenactivated, we didn't even have tanks, just classes on tearing down our handguns (45 auto Colt) and the 45 cal. Grease Gun, the Army was definately going through some changes, not all positive, except for urine tests. They, "Career soldiers" calle us Nixon soldiers.

cimg0528lz4.jpg

Tom, there is another patch similar to the M60A2 Gunnery Qualified patch. I wore a M60A2 Instructor patch as a TC Holdover in C/1/1st Tng Bde in 1978. I'll get it scanned.

I have the M60A2 Gunnery Qualified patch that I picked up while I while I was in the service and for the life of me, I can't remember where.

The only time I was at Ft Hood was in 1982 with 2/10 Cav doing an IRR AT. I never left the post so it couldn't have came from there. My unit in Germany wore the typical 3AD gunnery Qualified patch.

Dwight:

Good to know, I would love to see the M60A2 Instructor patch you wore.

Tom

Hope you people don't mind me butting in. I thought I'd show my two TCQC (Trash Crew Qualification Course) patches, the two square ones, I recieved for qualifying my tank, M60A1, at Grafenwöhr, Range 80.

The '70's in Germany, the dollar was 3,20 Deutsch Mark, when I first got to my unit, 4/73rd Armor, it was just reenactivated, we didn't even have tanks, just classes on tearing down our handguns (45 auto Colt) and the 45 cal. Grease Gun, the Army was definately going through some changes, not all positive, except for urine tests. They, "Career soldiers" calle us Nixon soldiers.

cimg0528lz4.jpg

D.A.T.:

Thanks for chiming in -- I have never seen those 4-73 Armor TCQC patches before. Were the two tabs in your post worn with those patches? Did 4-73 Armor issue any other qualification patches, such as scout crew, mortar, support, etc.? As far as I am aware, the 1973 Distinguished TCQC patch in your post was used in 3rd Armd Div. I assume you did not wear this patch in 4-73 Armor? Finally, did you wear the 73rd Armor triangle on the uniform?

Tom

Hi Tom, the 73rd did have Support tabs, other then that, I'm not sure. I had the 73rd triangle made for me, I wore the 1st Infantry patch on my uniform(s), I also had the TANKER tab made for me, if interested, I know a website that'll make you any kinda tab you want, and cheap. I fired distinguished in '74, but I lost the tab over the years, what a jerk! I got the 1973 TCQC off eBay, same as the TANK CREW, like several others I have. I have a 73rd patch on the right arm of my veteran field jacket and a "illegal" TCQC patch, and GERMANY tab (also made for me) over the 1st ID patch, I've worn the jacket several times to Normandy,France and Belgium/Luxembourg. I'd like to wear the jacket more often, but here in Germany, "they" do look at you kinda strange.

Thanks for your interest,

Pat

I'd like to wear the jacket more often, but here in Germany, "they" do look at you kinda strange.

Thanks for your interest,

Pat

Great patches Pat! BTW, you're living in the wrong part of Germany, lol.

Lars

Great patches Pat! BTW, you're living in the wrong part of Germany, lol.

Lars

Hey Lars, what do you mean, wrong part of Germany? I live at the foot of the Black Forest, land of the koo-koo-clocks and Mercedes Benz, Jägerschnitzel und spätzle and GOOD German beer!

Pat

Mercedes Benz...hmmm...I think I have heard his before ?!?

Herzlich Wilkommen Pat!!!!!!!!

Great to have you here! "Wrong part" ... means nobody cares if you wear your M 65 proudly where I live, lol.

Lars

Mercedes Benz...hmmm...I think I have heard his before ?!?

Herzlich Wilkommen Pat!!!!!!!!

Great to have you here! "Wrong part" ... means nobody cares if you wear your M 65 proudly where I live, lol.

Lars

Vielen Dank!! I do wear my M65 here too, when I go work out in my orchard etc., but my wife won't be seen with me when I wear it, maybe I should wear it more often!

Pat

I got this Armor patch sometime back on US eBay, as you can see, it's not a TCQC patch, just TANK CREW and 1973 underneath the tank. A souvenir patch?

cimg0580ot6.jpg

I got this Armor patch sometime back on US eBay, as you can see, it's not a TCQC patch, just TANK CREW and 1973 underneath the tank. A souvenir patch?

cimg0580ot6.jpg

Actually, this is a TCQC patch. It was issued by 3rd Armored Division to tank crews that qualified, and was worn on the uniform.

• 3 months later...
Hey Lars, what do you mean, wrong part of Germany? I live at the foot of the Black Forest, land of the koo-koo-clocks and Mercedes Benz, Jägerschnitzel und spätzle and GOOD German beer!

Pat

Dear Pat ; I was totally unaware that there was anything other than GOOD German beer paulray2

paulray2 thanking all respondents to TCQC patch/badge inquiry . I was quite impressed by the wealth of info presented and while I understand that Black on Green is hard to image I do look forward to the ASMIC April 09 feature as noted Anyone with TCQC s for sale ----PLEASE ADVISE !

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ill post the rest of them also.

post-3385-1228147915.jpg

I have a couple of the 2-69 Armor ( or Screw 69 as we called it) gunnery patches. Will have to dig them out next time I am home. Mine were for Bradley Gunnery though, not tanks. Would get this awarded, along with a steak, and a toast of "Panther Piss" champagne ( specially designed labels printed up and placed over the real label on the bottle) by the BN CO for the top crews.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...