A-2 jacket with painted pin-up trying to ID plane

Mr.Jerry

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I am hoping someone out there may know. This guy flew with the 13th AAF at the end of WW2. (then into Korea and Vietnam and then in Germany) I know he was in a B-29 and was on Tinian for a while. Any chance off the sadly faded artwork (Reverse of a nude woman on the phone) that it would correspond to an airplane? Neat group. I will post more as I am able.

Thanks!

Jerry

IMG_8856.JPG

Austin_Militaria

Its the RUFF TART.

Flew 100 missions.

owen

So tell me Owen, what squadron was the "Ruff Tart" affiliated with?

Boy I am not seeing anything that resembles a woman on the phone. I see a camel's head, some wrinkles and a dark spot.

Rough crowd! I'll admit a bad pic of a faded image.

They good news is the family is getting me scans of pics including some of him wearing the same jacket.

IMG_8856-id.jpg

doinworkinvans

I look forward to seeing more of this. I am certainly intrigued to see how this 13th Air Force story ties into an actual B29 group. I’ve been looking for a clear example of that for a while. I have photos of lots of 13th A2s but none matching this. Standing by for more....and hopefully I can be of some ACTUAL assistance.

I have been searching to try to find an image of "Ruff Tart" but no luck. Does anyone have a picture of the nose art for the plane?

Kat

Austin_Militaria

I have been searching to try to find an image of "Ruff Tart" but no luck. Does anyone have a picture of the nose art for the plane?

Kat

I think Owen is messing around. It's that irish humor that no one gets. Search for the definition of the word Tart.

doinworkinvans

Kat

Unfortunately Kat thats what happens. Time is wasted. There is no Ruff Tart

How insulting.

Jerry, do you have the name of the vet? I might be able to dig something up that way. AAF didn't snap photos in the PTO the same way they did in the ETO, so its tougher to track specific craft - but you never know...

Hi,

I do have his name but I am holding on that as more things are still coming out from the family - and I have had some people try to "end around" me before on things I have shared.

The family just contacted me and are emailing some of the pics. Hopefully soon we will all know more.

You know I thought Owen might be yanking my chain, but the name was plausible enough for the era and the "100 missions" seemed believable. :rolleyes:

Austin_Militaria

iO come on.

There is one thing lacking on this forum.

Humor.

Everyone lighten up and have some fun and chill out.

owen

I get ya. It was clever.

• 2 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

Shasta was a jack of all trades - she was flown by a couple of different crews.

The members of crew #2408 were:

Cpt Robert P. Fortune (A/C)

1/Lt Ramon L. Holtzclaw (Pilot)

1/Lt Robert H. Johnston (Navigator)

1/Lt Edwin F. Floyd Keeney (Bombardier)

T/Sgt George E. Benyo (Engineer)

S/Sgt Charles M. Allen (Radio)

S/Sgt Lloyd S. Hovland (Radar)

S/Sgt Stanley Balon (CFC)

S/Sgt Daniel V. Manfredi (R Gunner)

Sgt Richard J. Brown (L Gunner)

Sgt Robert Y. Marchbanks (T Gunner)

The members of crew #2415 were:

Cpt George N. Schwager (A/C)

1/Lt Walter Bereznoff (Pilot)

1/Lt Roy A. Sefton (Navigator)

1/Lt Harry K. Mason (Bombardier)

1/Lt Lynn C. Sherrill (Engineer)

Sgt Charles F. Killmon (Radio)

S/Sgt William R. Denson (Radarman)

S/Sgt Harold C. Chapman (CFC)

Cpl Louis G. Athanas (R Gunner)

S/Sgt Irving Dryman (L Gunner)

Sgt Donald E. Lund (T Gunner)

There is actually a Youtube video of Shasta being ditched....I think the video is like A wing and a prayer or something like that.....

Going by this it may be able to help trace back the owner to another air craft.....I am not asking for a name....but do you see your mans name on either of those lists?