SRU-31/p and SRU-31A/P survival kits for SV-2B survival vests

Titanium

Good afternoon.

I'm looking for photos of the "SRU-31A/P equipment container" as described in NAVAIR 13-1-6.5, page 9-24 through 9-27.

There are two layout diagrams but no photos of one 'in use' or packed.

As a side question, I notice that each rib section of the SV-2B has an inner pocket and then the zipper cover (which can naturally also act as a pocket).

Is the SRU-31 kit meant to ride in the inner pocket or simply be captured by the zipped cover?

I have one of the usual suspects when it comes to the large/small velcro-flapped vinyl inner housings (but no outer housing) and this is too long to fit in the inner pocket without getting jammed up in there.

Thanks!

Good afternoon.

I'm looking for photos of the "SRU-31A/P equipment container" as described in NAVAIR 13-1-6.5, page 9-24 through 9-27.

Hi Titanium,

You refer to the attached diagram I guess?

Also here is a nice youtube video showing the contents:

post-163947-0-56134300-1532084967_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks, I've seen that youtube video before. I have the General pouch (no contents) and, even when filled, it is too long to fit in the inner vest pocket so I was curious about that setup.

But concerning the 'SRU-31A/P equipment container' here are two screenshots from the NAVAIR:

===========

43482488802_c2abd520a8_o.png

===========

42812931334_bcf8c26a6c_o.png

I think the 31P kits just stay inside both the LH and RH zippered pockets over top of the inner pockets for the mirror, whistle, strobe etc. Thats how they stay inside the OV-1 Survival Vest which was based off the early SV-2 vests. Does the SV-2 have longer inside pockets toward the rear of the main zippered pocket? I have one but cant check it currently as Im out of town. If it does have those I think they were for packing additional items like the dye marker or MK-13s etc not the SRU-31. Pretty much any SV-2B I've seen for sale had the SRU kits just inside the zipper pocket like the OV-1 vests.

Side note, if no one ever realized it before. there was an actual Army version of the SV-2 vest in the 1966-1967 time frame that was unique lacking the LPU mounting waist belt and had loops to mount a chest strap for the LPU-2 life preserver cells. Was still called SV-2 and also Army Aircraft Survival Kit, Vest Type. Ive been looking for one but doubt Ill ever find one. Only have seen them in pics from the time frame and from the 60s era Army manuals, never saw one for sale in the flesh current day.

I think the 31P kits just stay inside both the LH and RH zippered pockets over top of the inner pockets for the mirror, whistle, strobe etc. Thats how they stay inside the OV-1 Survival Vest which was based off the early SV-2 vests. Does the SV-2 have longer inside pockets toward the rear of the main zippered pocket? I have one but cant check it currently as Im out of town. If it does have those I think they were for packing additional items like the dye marker or MK-13s etc not the SRU-31. Pretty much any SV-2B I've seen for sale had the SRU kits just inside the zipper pocket like the OV-1 vests.

Side note, if no one ever realized it before. there was an actual Army version of the SV-2 vest in the 1966-1967 time frame that was unique lacking the LPU mounting waist belt and had loops to mount a chest strap for the LPU-2 life preserver cells. Was still called SV-2 and also Army Aircraft Survival Kit, Vest Type. Ive been looking for one but doubt Ill ever find one. Only have seen them in pics from the time frame and from the 60s era Army manuals, never saw one for sale in the flesh current day.

Hi,

Hard to say, I have mine put away in the back/inner pocket.

I noticed another NAVAIR publication where it is (hardly) visible that those had to be in there.

See image,

post-163947-0-15504900-1532179806_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ron

And also this image, from an older NAVAIR, clearly identify the pockets as being for the SRU-31/P.

post-163947-0-39799300-1532184922.jpg

Cheers,

Ron

Charlie Flick

HI Ron:

Can you give me the approximate date of the NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-2 publication? It is interesting to me in that it shows a 2 inch S&W revolver, most likely a Model 10, in the drawing.

Thanks.

Charlie

HI Ron:

Can you give me the approximate date of the NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-2 publication? It is interesting to me in that it shows a 2 inch S&W revolver, most likely a Model 10, in the drawing.

Thanks.

Charlie

The NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-2 I have open now also shows the snubnose.

Doc date 1 April 2007. (I think the -2 at the end is meant to tell the rev level)

I have never seen the container style shown in post 3 before with an SRU 31P kit. I might have that reference somewhere but just guessing its a template for a rigger to use if they need to fabricate a replacement container for a kit in the field that still has usable contents. The typical kits fit inside the two zippered pouches on each side of the vest and are secured with cord.

The NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-2 I have open now also shows the snubnose.

Doc date 1 April 2007. (I think the -2 at the end is meant to tell the rev level)

Hi,

13-1-6.7-1 AIRCREW PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (AIRCREW/PASSENGER EQUIPMENT)

13-1-6.7-2 AIRCREW PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (CLOTHING)

13-1-6.7-3 AIRCREW PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (HELMETS AND MASKS)

13-1-6.7-4 AIRCREW PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (SURVIVAL VEST AND AIRCREW PROTECTIVE ARMOR ASSEMBLIES)

13-1-6.7-5 A/A24A-56 HELMET UNIT, INTEGRATED (JOINT HELMET MOUNTED CUEING SYSTEM)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ron

Thank you, great list.

I would love to find a catalog online of published manuals/navairs/tms/etc.

-

Charlie Flick

Thanks for the date reference. I am surprised that the 2 inch, .38 Special revolver is mentioned as late as 2007. By that time I would have thought that the SIG M11 9mm compact pistol would have been used with these vests. The M11 was given its NSN of 1005-01-340-0096 way back in 1991 or so.

Regards,

Charlie

They are pretty lazy with updating images and other stuff in Govt pubs. I've seen them update images and then on the next change go back to the old images.

Hi,

13-1-6.7-4 AIRCREW PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (SURVIVAL VEST AND AIRCREW PROTECTIVE ARMOR ASSEMBLIES)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ron

Having a tough time finding this one.

Any link(s)?

Thanks.

That pub in 1998 covered the AIRSAVE survival vest for both the USN/USMC and the US Army as well as its armor components PRU-60 and PRU-61. I have it on a CD, PM me your email and Ill try to send it if the file isnt to large.

I have never seen the container style shown in post 3 before with an SRU 31P kit. I might have that reference somewhere but just guessing its a template for a rigger to use if they need to fabricate a replacement container for a kit in the field that still has usable contents. The typical kits fit inside the two zippered pouches on each side of the vest and are secured with cord.

That container is for the SRU-31A/P. The 31A/P contains a smaller amount of gear than the 31/P and was stored in one package instead of being split between two. The container was not a procured item bu was fabricated by the PRs.

post-159730-0-72971600-1533230653.jpg

• 3 months later...

HI Ron:

Hi Charlie, I believe the revolver was a S&W M36, with a US stamp on the backstrap. They can be found on the civilian market occasionally. The stamp is altered to read made in the USa,from what I am told. Jim

Thanks.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

HI Ron:

Can you give me the approximate date of the NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-2 publication?

Charlie

I have 2000 dated one, but the other was early 80's.

Cheers

Ron