Don't Buy the Story!

SKIPH

Came across this interesting M5-1 Bayonet on ebay this morning. Titled: Important Korean War Bayonet w/ 28 Kills, Sniper M5-1 US, not WW2 Knife. Ebay # 372373421365. Buy Now price= $499. I do not know the seller. Key information, JD Tool did not get a contract until 1954, after conflict truce, and the seller has a no return policy. Plus the seller has added a "wazoo" story about the sniper notching the bayonet w/ his Kabar. If someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. Can't stress enough for new guys to do their homework, study , and research their hobby. SKIP

Reminds me of a 'WWI' bayonet that supposedly was carried to war by my G-G-Grandfather (Aust-Hung army). At least that's the family story. When I inherited it I immediately saw that there was a Polish eagle stamped on the blade, which did not happen until Poland became a country again in 1918. It too has a 'kill' notch that is carved onto the frog.

I second SKIP's statement about getting educated . Even if an item comes directly from the family, family lore may be stronger than the truth!

I’m sure there are near-limitless examples, but had one very recently where the family of a WWII Marine had something that he carried during the Guadalcanal Campaign. When I pulled his files, he enlisted in 1944.

Also there’s the classic misuse of “Bronze Star” to mean stars on a campaign ribbon.

I don’t mind any of that, as it’s well-intended folks honoring their family-member’s service.

It is an interesting study of how failable the oral traditon is.

Here is the full description. The seller has a great imagination. Maybe I'll start notching my "battle worn" knives and try my hand at embellishing history.

"This bayonet, upon first look, looks like your standard battle-used M5, but the Korean War Vet, possibly a sniper or Marine, has notched 28 kills on the top of the bayonet blade. It is the only one I have ever owned like this. Occasionally you will see a few notches on handles, but this guy took I assume a KABAR and tapped each kill on the back of the bayonet. Real piece of history here. I wish it could talk, but then again, it wouldn't have anything nice to say. The button/catches are in good working order. The guard has a little wiggle to it. It is the real deal. I guarantee it. Measures just shy of 11 1/2" long overall."

Marv

Thanks Marv! It sure is an interesting sales pitch. Thought everyone would get a kick out of the ad. Hope the new collectors are learning how to wade through the bull, and research the truth. SKIP

Collectible

Here is the full description. The seller has a great imagination. Maybe I'll start notching my "battle worn" knives and try my hand at embellishing history.

"This bayonet, upon first look, looks like your standard battle-used M5, but the Korean War Vet, possibly a sniper or Marine, has notched 28 kills on the top of the bayonet blade. It is the only one I have ever owned like this. Occasionally you will see a few notches on handles, but this guy took I assume a KABAR and tapped each kill on the back of the bayonet. Real piece of history here. I wish it could talk, but then again, it wouldn't have anything nice to say. The button/catches are in good working order. The guard has a little wiggle to it. It is the real deal. I guarantee it. Measures just shy of 11 1/2" long overall."

Marv

He should definitely think about writing novels in his spare time. Misinterpreting or misrepresenting military items is not doing justice to his true ability, storytelling. He even through in "I guarantee it."