The Invasion of "WORKMAN ISLAND" - Anybody ever heard of it?

bobgee

I never had and I've been studying WWII USMC history for a long time.

A few weeks ago in Oklahoma I was offered a Marine Corps Op Plan dated 22 Jan 1945 "In the field" for the attack on "WORKMAN ISLAND". It was marked "Top Secret" and originated from BLT 3-RCT24-4thMarDiv.

It's about 57 pages, still bound with the typical metal clip at the top and outlines the operation plan of BLT 3/RCT 24 and is signed by A.A. Vandegrift, Jr. LtCol.

Having it in hand and considering the dates it was immediately obvious to me that this Op Plan was connected with the invasion of IWO JIMA by 3/24 - 4th MarDiv.

I purchased it and started research as soon as I got home, quickly learning that "Workman Island" was the Code Name for Iwo Jima! I was at first bit confused seeing the name "A.A. Vandegrift JR Lt Col on the docs and thought it some kind of typo. But again quickly learned that LtCol Vandegrift JR was the Bn Cdr of 3/24 and son of the Commandant, "Archie" Vandegrift!

I served as the S-3 in an infantry battalion and this document in overall format was identicle to those we prepared in the 70s & 80s. These docs were not prepared for a long life. They were intended to control the situation on D-Day and H-Hour and they became extraneous as the current events of the battle evolved.

It originally listed five map sheets and two have survived. One has faded into oblivion and is barely identified as a map. The other, © Special Air and Gunnery Target Map survived in very good condition.

It is inconceivable to me that this original flimsy and fragile op plan from the 1945 iconic battle of Iwo Jima has survived until 2018.

3/24 was designated as the reserve battalion and was landed later on D-Day at Blue Beach. LtCol Vandegrift was severely wouded during the battle.

Here's a scan of the front page and part of the excellent map. Hope all you USMC historians enjoy and now know what "Workman Island" was! Semper Fi.........Bobgee

IMG_20180718_0001.jpg

IMG_20180718_0002.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Thats pretty interesting; I never did know what the codename for Iwo Jima was. Thanks for sharing Bob.

Kurt

Kurt - I don't think too many Marines in the assault force had heard the name Iwo Jima until shortly before they went over the side, if then.Planning for the invasion took many months and obviously code names were needed. Not something we think about. But as famous as Iwo Jima is to many Americans, Workman Island is unknown to most. Semper Fi.......Bob

Brian Keith

WOW! What a great find! Thanks for posting it. Any real history on who may have saved it?

BKW

Brian - No clue. Seller picked it up 10+ years ago - somewhere. It's remarkable piece of paper history. Semper Fi......Bob

Brian Dentino

Now that is a fantastic and one of a kind piece for sure Bob! Great pick up and a super cool paper grouping. Truly one of maybe a handful that survived I am sure!!!!