A little help with a S/Sgt. George Edward Dumitras

Dogface72

To whom:

2 years ago I was transferred to a midnight shift, so I haven't been around the forum for a while. I have missed it, and I guess it is time to revisit. Last week our family was in Erie, PA and a family member located 7 "Love Letters" at an estate sale.

The letters were addressed:

To: Miss. Lucille Martin

R.D. #2

Springfield, OH

S/Sgt. Geo. Dumitras

Dibble Gen Hosp.

Menlo Park, CA

The family member picked them up for us b/c we lived in Menlo Park for 4 years. The letters appear to be dictated, they are typed. Discussing the recover of an injury to a hand/arm. Very nice letters. From what I can tell, they did in fact wed after the war. I believe I have located a grandson who resides on Okinawa. I'm looking for additional service information for this soldier or airman. It very well may not be a war related injury but I have no idea as there is no detail. Pictures attached.

Miriam Lucille Dumitras, age 86, died at her home peacefully on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012. She was born Feb. 10, 1926, in Springfield, Ohio, the daughter of Charles Harford and Eula Carol Woods Martin. Lucille was married to George Edward Dumitras on Dec. 30, 1945, and lived in Colebrook on the family farm for 55 years. She was a giving person who took pride in her community. She served on the Colebrook Home Coming Committee, volunteered her time with the American Red Cross and worked with the County Election Board as a poll worker. She was a member of the Albino Rebekah Lodge #773, Grand Valley Interfaith Counsel and Colebrook United Methodist Church. She is survived by her son, John Edward Dumitras of Colebrook; sister, Dorothy Smith of Fairborn, Ohio; grandson, Devin (Eimi) Novak of Okanuma, Japan; and three great-grandchildren. She was prececed in death by her husband, George; son, David Dumitras; and a sister, Elizabeth Frank.

John E. Dumitras, age 63, passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, in Naples, Fla., after a sudden illness.
He was born on Feb. 23, 1953, in Chardon, Ohio, the son of George E. and Miriam (Martin) Dumitras.
John was a U.S. Army Veteran who attended Kent State University. He was a man of great talent who taught school, owned a restaurant, worked for Chrysler Corp., and worked as a farm hand.

Survivors include his son, Devin (Eimi) Novak of Okinawa; aunt, Dorothy Smith of Clark County Ohio; grandchildren, Josiah, Isaiah and Shinri Novak; He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, David Dumitris.

Found a Devin Novak living in Okinawa on FB. and will attempt to reach out to him. Don't know if these letters were "Lost in the shuffle" and there is no interest, but I would like to return them to the family if they want them. I just wanted to do a full research to share with my boys before attempting to return. Thanks in advance. - Chris

post-5070-0-94751700-1531858429_thumb.jpg

post-5070-0-48467000-1531858447_thumb.jpg

> The Current Status for George Dumitras shows "SWA". I'm not entirely positive what SWA means, but I believe it has something to do with wounded in action. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Fold3_Page_2.jpg

Just occurs to me that "SWA" for the Current Status of George Dumitras in that report probably means Severely Wounded in Action, which would explain him ending up in the hospital stateside to recover.

The Missing Aircrew Report was from September 1944 and the letters you have are for the most part dated March 1945, so the timing of him being in the hospital would pretty much coincide I believe.

Thank you AZ!-

That is pretty...well it's quite interesting and more information then I thought. Any suggestions on returning the items and not sounding like a fraudster? - Chris

Thank you AZ!-

That is pretty...well it's quite interesting and more information then I thought. Any suggestions on returning the items and not sounding like a fraudster? - Chris

Hi Chris,

I think your best bet is to try and FB message Devin Novak. He's the right contact at this point. I would just tell him who you are and that you have some letters that belong to his father's brother George that he wrote to his girl Lucille during WWII and were wondering if his family is interested in obtaining the letters for family histories sake. You could even send him a photograph of the letters and a link to your post on the forum here as he might be interested in the rest of the information that has been found on George. If he's not interested, there's really no one else that I saw that could be. You'll have to let us know how it goes, (hopefully good).

Here's the link that you can send him.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313350-a-little-help-with-a-ssgt-george-edward-dumitras/