Naval M flag - Anyone here get it?

Mr.Jerry

I was away last night so unable to snipe, so I threw in a bid but lost out. :( Did anyone here get it? I need an example of this one for my next book on home-front flags. Been looking for this one for 9 years. No one knows what they are so they don't over get listed properly to find them!

Thanks-

Jerry

M.jpg

trenchrat1918

Like you I have been looking for this flag for years, I envy whoever got this one. Often when a flag like this sells one or two more will come out of the woodwork, I can dream anyway.

trenchrat1918

I am one of those people who does not know what this flag is.

What is it?

At the beginning of WW2, there were 3 different production awards, the earlier Navy E award (established 1909), Army A award and the Army-Navy Munitions Board award. In July 1942 these three awards were all combined into the much more familiar Army-Navy E award. The flag Mr.Jerry was inquiring about is the Munitions board flag.

Unfortunately, this is a very obscure subject with very little information readily available so I hope I got it right. It would be a great idea if someone wrote a book about it, lol.

At the beginning of WW2, there were 3 different production awards, the earlier Navy E award (established 1909), Army A award and the Army-Navy Munitions Board award. In July 1942 these three awards were all combined into the much more familiar Army-Navy E award. The flag Mr.Jerry was inquiring about is the Munitions board flag.

Unfortunately, this is a very obscure subject with very little information readily available so I hope I got it right. It would be a great idea if someone wrote a book about it, lol.

Thanks for the explanation.I was thinking it may be an early production award but hadn't seen one before

trenchrat1918
post-160250-0-88753400-1531951108.jpgI hope Mr.jerry will chime in and tell me whether my information is correct or not. The information on this early stuff is virtually nonexistent and when these flags do turn up no one has a clue what it is. The third Liberty Loan flag is a prime example of this it is more often than not confused with the flag of Puerto Rico or maybe a weird variation of the Ohio flag.

Sorry, I've been dealing with some other things going on, but this is some of the info I have on this one, but as I have been focusing my efforts on my service flag book, I had to dig a bit to find this:

June-small.jpg

trenchrat1918

Sorry, I've been dealing with some other things going on, but this is some of the info I have on this one, but as I have been focusing my efforts on my ,service flag book, I had to dig a bit to find this:

Awesome, that clears up some misinformation that I had. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was the Munitions board award. So what did the Munitions board flag look like, if it even existed?

I have come across 2 different types of Ordnance flags; Navy & Army, with an "E" award pennant addition for the Navy one. But I have not yet seen a munitions board one. But as they say "There are more things in heaven and earth..."