British made B2 Private Purchase Flight Cap?

36thIDAlex

Alright so I’ve only found one other forum post from awhile back on this style of hat and the forum members were split between it being civilian or a PP Korean War item. Well according to IMA it is a private purchase British variant of the B2 Winter Flying Cap. I would like to hear everyone’s thoughts on this or if anyone knows of any photographic evidence of this cap. The reason I ask is that a local antique store has this exact hat at a great price and labeled incorrectly along with some other military items. I didn’t pick it up because it seemed close but too unfamiliar for me. I’ve known IMA as a reputable source of authentic militaria, albeit very pricey, but would like to hear from the forum members.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-usaaf-british-made-b-2-style-winter-flying-cap

(I posted this in “real or what?” Category but I feel like I’ll get better responses here as it is a time sensitive question for me; hopefully it can also function as a good reference if legit. Admins, feel free to remove the original post)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Could easily be American made, are there any markings? I have seen civilian used ones from time to time.

The one in the antique store has a faint marking that looks like it was once a name, sadly it seemed unreadable from the short look I got at it.

pararaftanr2

Other than the seller's description, do you have any other reliable source that would support their story about a shortage of B-2 caps being filled with "private purchase" British made ones? I've never heard, or seen photographic evidence of, this. Rather, it looks more like a civilian winter cap being passed off as something military to make a sale. My opinion anyway, and yes, I know everybody has one, but the yellow quilted lining, chin strap, green underside of the bill, and the brown fur all differ from the features of an actual B-2 cap and tell me this is not really what it is being represented as.

I believe this is an American civilian cap probably for children. Here's a B-2 pic I snagged from the Internet. Not even close. Bobgee

USAAF-B2-Winter-Leather-Flying-Cap-290714-1.JPG

Yeah, when someone make a claim like that always remember that it is their obligation to back up their claim and not your obligation to dig up nonexistent evidence. I know you only saw one for sale but this is one of the many problems with the internet. Everyone has a voice now and apparently something spoken in error can become a building block for others.

I will pile on with those who have never heard or seen evidence of this cap as stated.

JMO,

Dave

Thanks everyone for the help. I Never picked up the hat and hope no one does. Before I had no reason to distrust ima but now I’ll be sure to stay away. I emailed them a couple times asking where they got the proof for it and for some odd reason there was no response ;)

Thanks for helping me clear it up, I hope no one else gets scammed.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same hat, only difference is mine has blond fur. Definitely a civilian cap. I call mine my “Elmer Fudd” hat & wear it in the winter just to piss off the Mrs. She hates the damned thing with a passion and can’t stand it because for some reason, I constantly get compliments on it. Was well worth the $15 I spent on it!