Watertown Wisconsin D K V

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
Watertown, Wisconsin D K V Deutscher Krieger Verein
Watertown, Wisconsin D K V Deutscher Krieger Verein membership badge made of cast aluminum with a red painted center and black painted arms. The 1896 date in the center is the year that the group was established. The red, white and blue ribbon colors are intentional to show that even though they were proud of their German military service their loyalty was to their newly adopted country. The group must have been small since the casting method of making medals is too inefficient for the production of large numbers of medals.
Studio photograph of a member of the Watertown DKV wearing his membership badge as described above. The photo is by William Mathieu of Watertown, Wisconsin who was in business 1889-1908 which means that this photo was taken sometime between 1896 and 1908. The photo shows a very German looking man with a cigar and swagger stick wearing his membership badge and another ribbon type badge. On his hat is an Iron Cross mounted within a wreath type badge. It should be noted that veterans and fraternal groups of that era bought their military looking uniforms from uniform supply shops.
The longer one collects the more often items begin to merge. I bought the membership badge many years ago in a Wisconsin antique mall and found this photo listed on eBay just last week.

post-591-0-46888800-1531689593_thumb.jpg

Fred, you never cease to amaze me with all the local badges and medals from Wisconsin. This medal along with the photo is killer.

Proud Kraut

Unique badge and a fantastic photograph, thanks for sharing! Could we see a picture of the medal & ribbon reverse, please.

Fred Borgmann

Fred, you never cease to amaze me with all the local badges and medals from Wisconsin. This medal along with the photo is killer.

Thanks, I suppose the same could be found for other states too.