37mm unmarked

JosephC

This 37 mm ordnance has no markings. There is a rectangular brass fitting on base of projectile. Anyone know what this is; i can not turn it. the projectile has a flat nose. The case is empty and the projectile makes no sound when moved and is heavy. Overall short in height around 8 to 10 inches.

Any comment appreciated on its age, country of origin, the projectile characteristics including plug (added later? original?) and any concerns on its state.

Thank you

Joe

post-967-0-32440800-1531669776.jpg

post-967-0-13369000-1531669790.jpg

post-967-0-66879900-1531669802.jpg

post-967-0-91966500-1531669823.jpg

post-967-0-64886100-1531669834.jpg

post-967-0-37245200-1531669876.jpg

dave peifer

the primer appears unpunched............live.i'd be carefull w/the projo,filler plug appears undisturbed......................dave

I will soak inside bottom of casing in some wd40 to insert the primer. And will soak bottom of projectile in penetrating oil to see if the plug can be unscrewed.

dave peifer

caution that plug is also a base fuse,i wouldn't mess with it,the primer should be alright as is.............no way i'd attempt to unscrew the base...………………..dave

Any markings? The 37mm was pretty ubiquitous during WWI, just about every country used a variation...

Regardless of origin, that is a filled AP projectile...meaning it has/had an HE filling with a base fuze. The projection at the base is the base fuze....

Whether its still filled? Can't say...I wouldn't mess with the base fuze unless a positive ID can be made, and filler and how filled can be determined.

A lot of these came home, and were never demilled. If you are just going to put it up on the back of a shelf, me, personally, wouldn't worry about it...

If you call the authorities, or turn it in, just be aware you will not get it back. Period.

You should do as you see fit...

I will soak inside bottom of casing in some wd40 to insert the primer. And will soak bottom of projectile in penetrating oil to see if the plug can be unscrewed.

Again, I wouldn't mess with it unless you can determine for sure exactly country of origin...

Some countries in the WWI period used Picric Acid as a filler. As Picric Acid decomposes over the years, it creates shock sensitive crystals that if they migrate to the threads, can detonate when it is tried to unscrew it....

Ok will not do anything else but display. Was hoping to sell or trade but can't do that.

Do not hit the panic button. The base fuze shows signs of unscrewing in the past .....what would I do? Take a few drops of engine /machine oil and fill the primer from the inside-primer deactivated, period. Next, on to the projo, put it in a coffee can, fill it with thin penetrating oil (Kroil) or thinned motor oil with mineral spirtits 50/50, put it outside in the hot sun ( heat about 200 degrees or more breaks down explosives) for a week or two adding the oil mixture as it evaporates, if the heat does not deactivate contents, the thinned oil will. Next, put it on display....myself? Me, myself, after a few weeks ( or more) in the thinned oil, I would unscrew the base plug, ( most likely left hand threads) it should come out easily....just my 2C. Keep in mind, modern ordnance today is demilled by cooking, put in ovens a day or so, minimum 200 degrees.....put it your oven set at about 250, take the wife out to a dinner and movie, stay overnight in a hotel, then in the morning let her unscrew the base fuze...remember, left hand threads....get back with us.

Do not hit the panic button. The base fuze shows signs of unscrewing in the past .....what would I do? Take a few drops of engine /machine oil and fill the primer from the inside-primer deactivated, period. Next, on to the projo, put it in a coffee can, fill it with thin penetrating oil (Kroil) or thinned motor oil with mineral spirtits 50/50, put it outside in the hot sun ( heat about 200 degrees or more breaks down explosives) for a week or two adding the oil mixture as it evaporates, if the heat does not deactivate contents, the thinned oil will. Next, put it on display....myself? Me, myself, after a few weeks ( or more) in the thinned oil, I would unscrew the base plug, ( most likely left hand threads) it should come out easily....just my 2C. Keep in mind, modern ordnance today is demilled by cooking, put in ovens a day or so, minimum 200 degrees.....put it your oven set at about 250, take the wife out to a dinner and movie, stay overnight in a hotel, then in the morning let her unscrew the base fuze...remember, left hand threads....get back with us.

This would be a good plan of attack too....

...now onto the real deal....if your round has absolutely no markings, it is likely a factory dummy. In both WW1 and 2, many rounds failed manufacturing dimensional inspection checks, were not stamped, rejected for one reason or another...not marked. They were assembled as dummies for war bond drives, given to employees, gifts. I have a few totally unmarked, assembled, crimped examples. Did you crank up the oven yet?

...now onto the real deal....if your round has absolutely no markings, it is likely a factory dummy. In both WW1 and 2, many rounds failed manufacturing dimensional inspection checks, were not stamped, rejected for one reason or another...not marked. They were assembled as dummies for war bond drives, given to employees, gifts. I have a few totally unmarked, assembled, crimped examples. Did you crank up the oven yet?

not yet; I was soaking the bottom of projectile in kroil but pulled out; maybe will put back in.....the casing I soaked the inside with some wd40.