Surgical Instruments Kit - Minor Surgery - Opinions

Old Marine

I picked up this Minor Surgery Kit awhile back. It's all complete except for one set of Hemostats or Kelly clamps and a small thin probe that goes a the bottom. The 2 hemostats, and scissors in the kit are marked WECK. The Forceps are marked HACKENSACK and the scalpel handle is marked BARD PARKER Made in USA

The front of the kit is marked:

SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS KIT MINOR SURGERY

9-577-650

The inside flap is marked:

EDWARD WECK & COMPANY, INC

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, U.S.A.

Can any of you guys determine the vintage/age of this kit? I think it's Korea, early VN vintage. However, because of the lack of an FSN or NSN is it possible this is WWII vintage?

Also if anyone has the 2 missing pieces that they might like to sell or trade, please PM me. Whatever the age of this kit I would like to find the other pieces to complete the set.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-10079300-1531256834_thumb.jpg

Hi Dennis,

I have a very similar kit. I always thought it was VN vintage. Ill have to pull itnok and take another look and compare to yours. Thanks for posting.

Andy

It's a nice kit and under the flap is a brown envelope of black Sutures, Sizes 00-1-3. This Suture package has a stock number of 3-767-980.

You can see the spaces for the missing hemostat and the probe or whatever it is at the bottom.

post-2843-0-88650200-1531257979_thumb.jpg

This is the hemostat in the kit. It's marked WECK. I would like to find another pair with the same maker mark.

post-2843-0-28484100-1531258216_thumb.jpg

Andy, I would appreciate seeing your kit. I always thought this was VN too, but there are no FSNs or NSNs. Hopefully one of our Medically savvy guys will know.

They started switching to FSN #s in the late 1950's or so. This one still could have been used in Vietnam as new old stock

Dennis,

I will take pictures of my kit and post them (likely this weekend). Meanwhile Larry and Terrie Stewart have a similar kit list for sale on the site at the moment. They ID it as post WWII. here is the link: https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/equipment-us-us-post-wwii-medical-surgical-kit-and-contents.45773.10.military-antiques

This to post WWII. The stock number shows up in the 1947 Army-Navy Medical Catalog. It was previously the US Navy's Case, Pocket - Stock number 3-045. But when the Army and Navy combined their medical supplies as part of the formation of the National Military Establishment in 1947. later to be called Department of Defense.

Now how far Post WWII? don't know. As mentioned, prior to the establishment of FSN/NSNs.

Sorry, didn't finish my thought. The kit was assigned the stock number 9-577-650 when the two services catalogs were combined.

29, thanks for the information. I kind'a thought this was a post war kit. And you're right, there is not telling how long this could have been lying on a shelf in a warehouse. It probably is NOS there doesn't seem to be much wear to it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• 3 months later...

I could not find the kit at Stewart's site. Does anyone know what the price was? I've got one I'll be selling but have no idea what to ask. Most all there and most marked WECK.

Thanks!

Browninggunner688

Found it on Stewarts millitary antiques.

Item#45773. $110 for post WW2 medical surgical kit.

Hope this helps.

Nick.

• 3 months later...

I could not find the kit at Stewart's site. Does anyone know what the price was? I've got one I'll be selling but have no idea what to ask. Most all there and most marked WECK.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2019 at 7:43 PM, Uh1medic said:

Have you sold yours yet. If not, can you post pictures and price and what each item is marked as.

If you're looking for information on the nomenclature, stock number and quantity for each component of this kit, I can assist you. The stock number format 9-577-650 is post-WWII / pre-Vietnam (1947 - 1955). The 7 digit stock number 9-577-650 changed to the 11 digit Federal Stock Number (FSN) 6545-957-7650 in May 1955. The earliest date that I've seen on a medical item with an 11 digit FSN is JAN 1956 (Cannula, Tracheotomy Jackson, FSN 6515-386-9660). Surgical Instrument kits with the 7 digit stock number were issued and used during the early to mid years of the Vietnam war. The earliest DSA contract that I've seen on a kit with FSN 6545-957-7650 is DSA 120-5950 - dating the kit to 1966.

Cannula Trach Jan 1956.jpg

6545-957-6650 Surgical Instrument Set.jpg

DSA 120-5950.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, Old Marine said:

The Sutures, the Curved Surgical needles and a blade for the Scalpel.

post-2843-0-05110400-1531258851_thumb.jpg

This kit includes:
2 sealed packets of 6 needles each, size 12 and 16. I only see one opened packet of size 16, do you have the size 12 packet? If not, it is missing.
2 sealed packets of sutures, Stock No. 3-767-980, Sizes 00-1-3. I only see one.
2 sealed packets of 6 surgical blades each, size 10, Stock No. 3-447-100.
2 sealed packets of 6 surgical blades each, size 11, Stock No. 3-447-120.