WWII USMC 2nd Marine div. Tarawa,Saipan,Tinian

ww2marine

This a nice group that belonged to Nonald Lewis from Milwaukee, WI. Lewis joined up on February 8, 1943. After boot camp he attended a CBT intelligence course which he completed earned him the primary MOS of scout-observer. He then joined Intel section of H&S Co., 8th Marines. He served as a scout-observer at the battles of Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian. Incredibly he was never wounded. Following the battle of Tinian, Lewis was sent stateside where he completed a course in basic Japanese, to serve as a translator in preparation for the inevitable invasion of Japan. However, the war would end before he was shipped back overseas. Lewis would be discharged on November 5th, 1945.

I wanted to give a big thank you to forum member Bellumbill for selflessly helping to reunite Lewis's Dog tags back with the rest of his group.

post-5600-0-73606600-1531252714.jpg

a couple pics of him reading the "Milwuakee Sentinel" after the battle of Tinian. The large photo is an offical USMC photo with the description on the back

post-5600-0-52975000-1531253025_thumb.jpg

Kevin -

* slow clap *

Terrific grouping - happy to help out. Tags look right at home.

Very best regards,

Bill K.

• 1 year later...

Nonald Lewis was my father. How can I get more information? I have an article that describes him and his buddies who caught some chickens and cooked them in their helmuts.

Nonald Lewis was my father. How can I get more information? I have an article that describes him and his buddies who caught some chickens and cooked them in their helmuts.

Outstanding. Ill send you a personal message.