Navy Cross Action in WW1

Belleauwood

The Medal Group as it looks today. The 1944 issue Purple Heart is missing as well as the Naval Reserve Medal. It is not commonly known or reported that Ludlow was awarded the Purple Heart. I will provide the documents in a later post. - I assume since that it was a WW1 injury, his PH would have been engraved on a NAVY type planchet. If anyone knows of this medal, I would appreciate a notice.

post-3422-1293627509.jpg

post-3422-1293628558.jpg

It's interesting to me that the Naval Aviation personnel that were in Italy and England were awarded the "Overseas" Victory Medal, while the Army pilots in the collection received the "Vittorio-Veneto / Defensive Sector" campaign bars.

Croix de Guerre

Dennis, your tenacity, your PhD. worthy research skills and your desire to reunite, protect and share these monumentally historic artifacts have given new life to the memory of these erstwhile forgotten heroes. Your efforts are inspirational. God Bless my friend.

Macte virtute! Factum optime!

teufelhunde.ret
...The restoration process will be documented here on the forum and most likely be completed sometime in April 2011. In the meantime, I will post the new acquisitions contained in the group over the next several weeks. I hope this meets with some approval.DJ

IT SURE DOES! Dennis, its thrilling to see you embark on this restoration quest and look forward to seeing the outcome. s/f Darrell

normaninvasion

It's threads like this that inspire my collecting. I will never be able to aquire something so significant but it's a real pleasure to see! Amazing

Croix de Guerre
post-3422-1293625130.jpg

All for the panel for now. Restoration process will follow.

It is my understanding that this is the only WWI Austrian panel known to be in a private collection. :blink:

The Medal Group as it looks today. The 1944 issue Purple Heart is missing as well as the Naval Reserve Medal. It is not commonly known or reported that Ludlow was awarded the Purple Heart. I will provide the documents in a later post. - I assume since that it was a WW1 injury, his PH would have been engraved on a NAVY type planchet. If anyone knows of this medal, I would appreciate a notice.

IMG_3425.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: AWESOME DENNIS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is a VERY good chance that the Purple Heart was issued un-named since it was presented to him while still in the Navy. It would have been a USN Type I based on the time frame.

Kurt