Brig and Dirk's Excellent Adventure

Dirk

Amazing. Was Sledge's just named or did it had artwork as well?

Both of his were there. One was a reissue, with the previous owner's name crossed out. One had a UNIS mark

Some German flags captured by Marines...yes, by Marines! Bottom right is Japanese made...maybe a friendship banner. One flag (not shown) was taken when the ship's detachment shelled a small detachment off the coast of Southern France. Another came from Morroco...I believe a consolate. I believe it's the white bordered one. I'm going to have to look more into these...Marines in the EAME are relatively unknown

thumbnail (2).jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow!! I need to not do summer school all summer and make a trip out there!

Thanks for sharing

Kurt

usmcaviator

Sorry I missed out on attending gents, as I egress the Corps (finally!) I hope to be able to join more often on these journeys. Amazing stuff and even more amazing Maj Spooner still entertains...the man is walking history.

Mike

Wow!! I need to not do summer school all summer and make a trip out there!

Thanks for sharing

Kurt

Well stop holding kids to an academic standard and you'll free up your summers

Sorry I missed out on attending gents, as I egress the Corps (finally!) I hope to be able to join more often on these journeys. Amazing stuff and even more amazing Maj Spooner still entertains...the man is walking history.

Mike

I'm fully convinced that his passion for sharing Marine Corps history is his fountain of youth and longevity.

Brig on the Major I have to agree with you! He still pulls out some gems that need to be preserved....as well as Ken who knows the backstory to so many of these items.

normaninvasion

Thanks fellas for showing this. Really spectacular! A few questions, what is scope of their holdings that are not on permanent display? In other words, do they also keep items that have a nice history but are not significant in personality or rarity? What are the plans for Butler's uniforms? Any more information on the swords? I could go on! Really enjoyed seeing this. jeff

Geez, if the title would have clued me in a bit more, I would have drooled over this thread much sooner. Really enjoyed this back lot tour. I have fond memories of my own visits to what I believe is the finest museum on the planet. I have eaten at the Globe and Laurel on many occasion, and during one dinner, had Major Spooner sign Moran's book (under one of the photos Major Spooner was given credit for). It is fun to watch him work the room at the Officers Sunday brunch on the base. Anyway, thanks again for posting. I hope this one gets pinned. Kevin

At best maybe 10% is on display at any one time....and 10 % may be to high a number at that! As with any museum (and counting this museums predecessors) they go thru phases over time on what should be acquired and what should not. The holdings are designed to tell the Marine Corps story. So another set of prewar dress blues to a one cruise seagoing Marine is not going to be desired imho. However, a uniform from a famous prewar senior Marine that comes from the family or a protype EGA for a design that was adopted for a few years would probably be more then welcome. I am sure as the museum expands items such as Butlers uniform would be a great choice to come out...after all they really do not have their expeditionary section (that includes China) out yet.

The Maj still can work the room or a table....this time he sat uninterupted with us through lunch throwing out gems of information on various periods of history as he thought might be of interest. Of course he gets pulled so many ways by people who come by, it's impossible for him to stay seated for long.

Thanks fellas for showing this. Really spectacular! A few questions, what is scope of their holdings that are not on permanent display? In other words, do they also keep items that have a nice history but are not significant in personality or rarity? What are the plans for Butler's uniforms? Any more information on the swords? I could go on! Really enjoyed seeing this. jeff

Talking with the staff...Butler's blues are planned to be put out during the next renovation completion. Their holdings are massive...in multiple facilities. Families flock to donate their significant history, as they know they will be cared for. Those of us who are fortunate to own rare or significant USMC pieces are truely lucky, as it seems most flow into the museum's holdings

Geez, if the title would have clued me in a bit more, I would have drooled over this thread much sooner.

Obviously you don't know your fellow USMC collectors...the title said it all with those two

Talking with the staff...Butler's blues are planned to be put out during the next renovation completion. Their holdings are massive...in multiple facilities. Families flock to donate their significant history, as they know they will be cared for. Those of us who are fortunate to own rare or significant USMC pieces are truely lucky, as it seems most flow into the museum's holdings

Obviously you don't know your fellow USMC collectors...the title said it all with those two

Hmmmm........alrighty then

Remember the Major well eh is a true gentlemen, ate the G&L many times while attending the FBI Academy on post. Sorry to say the museum was closed for renovation while I was there, but did a peek at some of the items, but nothing like this. Thank you for bringing back a bunch of memories of Quantico.

Gomorgan, that was how I met him as well, National Academy Class 217 in 2004. I loved my 11 weeks there and the experience left an indelible respect for the Corps. My time there was well before the new museum opened. I have been back twice to visit it though. Kevin

Where I work, the FBI academy is one of our nearest neighbors...though we are still ten miles further out. Every now and then we help support some training. They're pretty good neighbors...no midnight street parties or property disputes

That Raider flag is incredible! Maybe a thread could be created about Marines in the European theater? I had no idea Marines served in Europe.

Jacob