Japanese Naval Swords and Dirk

kanemono

Here is a group of souvenirs brought home from Nagasaki, Japan by a USMC veteran who was WIA on Roi-Namur Island and who also fought on Okinawa. The sake cup says

“Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather.”

post-9487-0-90424600-1531148306_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-08357900-1531148315_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-84616500-1531148322.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow that is quite a nice collection. I picked up a few Japanese letters yesterday and am getting a friend in Japan to translate. I believe the one may be from Okinawa.

Paul

Great looking swords. Love to see the hamon on the navy sword, not sure what kind of tassel is on the sword.

Marty

What a great group! Whenever I see something like this I can vividly recall my Dad complaining that almost none of the souvenirs he picked up and shipped home from Saipan and Okinawa ever made it. He used to grumble some flat-footed state-side mail clerk taking it all.

Mikie

Here is the blade. Sorry the picture isn't better. If I get a chance I will take a better photo.

post-9487-0-68746200-1531172428_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful group. I always look for Pacific Theater items because my Dad was there. Over time have found bits and pieces. It just isn't out there like European theater items. I particularly like the knife. Congrats.

I was sent this photo and told that it came from Gibson's photo album. The story is that this Japanese officer is wearing the dirk and also owned the swords and other IJN items. Gibson bought everything together in Nagasaki, Japan in 1945?????

post-9487-0-25612500-1531255000_thumb.jpg