Ided 101st Airborne Division Ike surfaced at a local estate sale

ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980

Howdy all. I waited several hours in line (first spot) to get this uniform this saturday at a local estate sale. Included the tags and named inside. The family has at least one original photograph of him wearing the ike upon his return home. There will be some original period paperworks which I will post once I get it. There was some german odds and ends found in one of the pockets. I have not found to much on the individual in my cursory research as to what unit he was in. Needless to say I was quite stoked to find an estate sale fresh Airborne Normandy Vet uniform. Any help as to which unit the veteran was in would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Terry

post-23325-0-77653100-1531087839_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-23233400-1531087867_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-75055100-1531087888_thumb.jpg

ludwigh1980

For whatever reason I have the issue of pictures despite being rotated correctly still come through sideways.

post-23325-0-52204500-1531087979_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-90621600-1531088001_thumb.jpg

post-23325-0-11535900-1531088021_thumb.jpg

ludwigh1980

Thank You everyone for the kind comments and CAMOPARA thank you for that much needed detail. Its finds like these that re-energizes me to keep collecting.

Great pick up Lud! They’re still out there...

On a side note: I hope whoever recently advised another member against a uniform purchase notices the use of a laundry pen to write the name and ser# on this uniform.

ludwigh1980

Thank you all, I wasn't planning on going as it was an hour drive from my home. Opened at Nine A.M. Got there at 6, I was bumping around my house at 4 am. The day before I happened to peek at the estate sale companies website and noticed the patch and ribbon rack, and it was named, and it had the tags and there was a star on the glider and the invasion arrow head... "you have got to be kidding me, sh@%". I admit I was getting a bit burned out collecting. You just don't see stuff from the airborne divisions out here. 8th Air Force yes, plenty of that. The vet passed away almost 30 years ago and the coat had at least a decade of dust on it. Between that and still having a full head of hair at my 20 year high school re-union that was also this weekend it was a good time.

Thank you all, I wasn't planning on going as it was an hour drive from my home. Opened at Nine A.M. Got there at 6, I was bumping around my house at 4 am. The day before I happened to peek at the estate sale companies website and noticed the patch and ribbon rack, and it was named, and it had the tags and there was a star on the glider and the invasion arrow head... "you have got to be kidding me, sh@%". I admit I was getting a bit burned out collecting. You just don't see stuff from the airborne divisions out here. 8th Air Force yes, plenty of that. The vet passed away almost 30 years ago and the coat had at least a decade of dust on it. Between that and still having a full head of hair at my 20 year high school re-union that was also this weekend it was a good time.

Nice find Terry and just the way they look after years of being stored.Congrats. :)

WWIIinterviews

Great find, glad to see your endurance paid off. That 8th AF stuff that is out there I have yet to find. ;)

ludwigh1980

Thanks Doyler, I do like the dust when it comes to these. Thank you all for commenting. Happy hunting!

BILL THE PATCH

Best Ike I seen in awhile, congrats to you. Love that glider wing with battle star.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you all, I wasn't planning on going as it was an hour drive from my home. Opened at Nine A.M. Got there at 6, I was bumping around my house at 4 am.

Got there @ 6 and it opened at 9?? Must not be many hardcore pickers out your way. If that was in an estate sale in my area and you got there @ 6 you'd be 20th in line. Congrats on a great find!!