Help with a private purchase flight jacket

Vpep

Hello everyone,

My collecting has been pretty erratic lately, and Ive been trying to focus, but this piece just spoke to me. It also has a local connection because Grumman had a facility here in Calverton, Long Island until the early 1990's. I would love some feedback on this piece. Im trying to research the individual its named to, but haven't had much luck yet. I hope you can help and enjoy the Pictures.

post-113193-0-48265000-1531077890.jpg

post-113193-0-80430800-1531077928.jpg

mohawkALSE

Thats really cool having the original patches. So many of those as repros out there these days. The person was probably a tech rep for Grumman on the F-14 side of things.

Thanks for the complement. That’s what I thought initially, someone who worked on the F-14 project at some point in its life. I’d like to try to identify the person to find out when they worked there.

vintageproductions

Looks like a Tech Rep type jacket made by numerous different companies.

First of all, thanks aznation for all of this really cool information. This is really great to have with the jacket. Secondly here is a photo of the tag inside the pocket. I think I got confused when someone asked what the name was. Also the name tag and Grumman patch.

post-113193-0-50755800-1531354719_thumb.jpg

post-113193-0-61223600-1531354746_thumb.jpg

post-113193-0-41488400-1531354772_thumb.jpg

Would this have been something presented to him at his retirement, or would he have gotten it just for working on a certain project?

Hi Vpep, You're welcome for the information. I think he would've received the jacket in the 60's during the Apollo Project timeframe. When querying the company name some jackets belonging to NASA personnel came up. In fact, might have received the jacket before/during/or after that NASA conference in 1964. That would be my best guess. Also, I'm pretty sure he worked with the Tomcat program at Grumman in some capacity, although I don't know exactly what his job was. Looks like a very well made jacket by the way. Congrats!

vintageproductions

One of the makers I was expecting to see in the jacket.

He would have worn this during his career, and wore it during his career.

Man, boatload of info there! I really love that original Grumman patch, hope I can find a real on loose one of these days for a helmet bag. Strong Island still hides lots of stuff from the Grumman factory store.

Great jacket,

I will show it to my Japanese friend as some of these early private ones are VERY collectable.

Well done on a super piece.

owen

That is very interesting. It makes you wonder where this jacket has been. Did it ever leave Long Island, travel to Florida and back again?