USMC P2 canteen cover

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I picked up this USMC P2 canteen and wanted to run it by the forum. I believe the cover is original but thought the wire hanger was sort of odd. The hanger is the correct USMC type but it looks like it is steel and was left unpainted. The condition of the hanger matches the cover, and although it was issued it does not appear to have seen much use. My question is has anyone seen a hanger such as this? Is it original to the cover and just somehow went unfinished? Thanks!

Rob

post-168-0-62457400-1531077169_thumb.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Wow, thanks for researching him for me, never expected something like that. I guess he did not have a chance to wear it much. The canteen is named to a J.B. Hunter, looks like there was an attempt to scratch the name out so I take it the canteen was a reissue.

Rob

post-168-0-06085100-1531080893_thumb.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Maybe the hanger was replaced in the field? Likely not, just my theory

Thanks, I suppose it's possible but since the cover has seen little use I wonder why there would have been a need for that.

Fixbayonets!

Did a little follow up research and found out that Corporal Ksiazek was killed in action on the first day at Saipan. He is buried not far from where I live, I will be paying my respects to him in the near future.

post-168-0-86256800-1531084208_thumb.jpg

Fixbayonets!

There was also a Pvt John B Hunter with the same unit.

Thanks again for researching, so interesting to see the puzzle pieces fit together here.

Fixbayonets!

…….and with a little more research, here are their photos, Camp Pendleton, 1943

Anthony R. Ksiazek, top row, far right.

post-168-0-01614300-1531089366.jpg

I believe some of the early harware was nickle or bright steel.I posted a cover once with bright hanger and also have a Upper pack with bright metal wire keeper

Fixbayonets!

I believe some of the early harware was nickle or bright steel.I posted a cover once with bright hanger and also have a Upper pack with bright metal wire keeper

Thanks for the confirmation, this is the first time I have come across one of these hangers.

Rob

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for the follow up with photos of your canteen doyler, that's a nice one! The canteen I posted here came from a collection of about 20 WWII USMC canteens I recently bought. I just went through them again and came up with another cover with this bright steel hanger, it is again on a P2 cover.

Rob

Wow! Incredible condition. I have owned a few covers like this one with the nice dark shade and the snaps closer together. I like it!

Lucky 7th Armored

Figured I’d share this piece. Same company. Also with a reissue name to a guy in the same company. Great but terribly sad addition!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for posting your canteen WW2 History Buff! I tried to look him up in the 1943 Camp Pendleton class book pages for L Company but he does not appear, he must have came in later as a replacement.

Rob