Correct color for Vietnam War era m1 helmets.

Heptonic48

Heptonic48

I want to restore an m1 helmet that I bought last year, but I don't know what the correct shade of green they used.Here are some photos of the helmet.Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Heptonic48

I would also like to know what they used to texture the helmets and what type of paint did they use.

huntssurplus

They used multiple shades of green paint and a light sand like texture during Vietnam. I think your helmet is fine and doesn't necessarily need any restoration unless you know it has been painted over post-war. They used helmets from WW2, Korea, and the ones they made during Vietnam in the Vietnam war.

The light green color on the inside of the helmet looks to be about what you see on a lot of helmets. They switched to that lighter lime green color in the 60's.

Hunt

Heptonic48

They used multiple shades of green paint and a light sand like texture during Vietnam. I think your helmet is fine and doesn't necessarily need any restoration unless you know it has been painted over post-war. They used helmets from WW2, Korea, and the ones they made during Vietnam in the Vietnam war. 

The light green color on the inside of the helmet looks to be about what you see on a lot of helmets. They switched to that lighter lime green color in the 60's.

Hunt

Thanks for the comment.

I would leave it alone.

It looks fine.

A Nam would have a cover on it anyway unless you were ARVN usually.

owen

Thanks.I don't know if the paint job is post war, but it had a post war liner when I got it.Anyway I will leave it alone like you guys said.I was going to restore it mainly, because I was going to use it for a reenactment.

That lighter color green showing through on the wear areas of shell look like what I was issued at Ft. Campbell in 67 and it was a never issued helmet shell.

The outer color looks the same color as my Vietnam era helmets. I would leave it as-is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk