Unknown patch, maybe rescue? or crash boat?

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might recognize this and be able to identify. I have no idea if it is military or not, although it strikes me as it could be. It is definitely an older made patch on twill. I was wondering if it might be from a crash rescue boat squadron. The whale is wearing a crown and I know some US Air Force Rescue squadrons feature a crown in their design, but this could be just a coincidence. Thank you for any help.

post-2744-0-14522400-1531009298_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Thanks for your insight manayunkman. I do not know how life saver rings appear on military vessels. I'm sure it's nothing, but I always wondered if the little hump at the top of the patch might represent snow capped Mt. Fuji. Just a WAG on my part though.

I am thinking it represents some manner of Search And Rescue unit, but it could be civilian or military. I don't believe it is US.

Thank you gwb123, I appreciate it. I had not thought about this patch possibly not being being US. What details about this would make you think that? The design, or the construction? I will admit the little curved trident thingy at the very bottom seems like a weird or unusual design.

Random pic off the web of a WW2 DD. Life ring appears to be GRAY. I think a bright white or red and white ring would have made a NIFTY AIMING POINT for an enemy plane intent on crashing into a ship. 

h59854.jpg

h59854 (2).jpg