M-1943 boots

everyone has helped me out a great deal here and am SO appreciative!

I wanted to ask, if it wouldn't be a problem, if anyone has any sources to look up soldiers in WWII?

particularly Henry E. Johannas 37533957

I recently bought a pair of M1943 DB boots and found his name and serial number, and like all historical collectables, would love to know more about the history of them and where they've been!

thanks!

Brad Bay

thanks for the link

wierd....0 records found. ??

does this mean that Henry E Johannas was not in the military during WWII? or does ADD.Archives.Gov not have all records for all soldiers (probably not) ?

well I just found a flaw in the boot.... really sucks, not sure what to do.

In the back of the boot about where the back of your ankle is, there's a rip in the leather, not all the way through but it's about 1" long. and another starting in the same place on the other boot. it's like a scrape into the leather that has gotten worse over time from constant bending of the boot. should I sew it with brown thread? or is there another way to patch or fix this?

~Brad

Not much you can do to old leather.Once it dries out there isnt really saving it.Sounds more of a dry rot problem.If the boot ever got damp or mold or mildew they are hard to save restore.You may be able to try some leather care to it.I would stay away from neetsfoot oil.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

don't use neatsfoot oil, it dries the leather out and ruins it, I found that out the hard way years ago with some civil war items my father had collected. and that was after he told me not to use it because he did it to his buckle boots after he got out of the army and they fell apart.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

I would leave them alone. If you need a pair to wear, I would go with a pair of repro boots..

Looking for WWII, Nam items, Painted or Decaled Liners, and Military Pocket Bibles

My dog loves SPAM and snores like a drunken Sailor!

C Battery 2/32 FA BN

Sgt/E5

Giessen, Germany

1987-1990

remoteImage.gif

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

yea your right i should have bought some repros, but are they as good quality as the originals made 65 years ago? i mean is anything made with that kind of quality?

yeah i was planning on wearing them, it's just that small area that is dryrotted.....

they were about 100$ shipped...i tried stitching them up but i think it made it a little worse...

maybe a show repair place can do some good....

thanks

the color of the boot compared to the cuff look about right, but i'm going off of my boots that are still SOMEWHAT light colored but worn, the cuff on mine are dark brown

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/U.S._...USCOMBOOTc.html

were the original uppers made of Suede leather? and was the side profile of the soles that redish brown color here http://www.americanequipage.com/servlet/th....S.-WWII/Detail

or more light colored like this

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/20068profile.JPG

Will post a pic of a set of boots from my collection.

post-342-1228009507.jpg

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Here is a pair of originals in my collection that have never been laced,worn or treated with dubbing.They were made in 1944 and other than the discoloring from the pass of time the are as issued and about the closest you will see to issue color.Keep in mind no repo is gonna be exactly as 64 year old boots.

I know at the front sell reproduction two buckles and Sturm has repo boots too.I dont recall if the Corcoran boot company has made a run or not of them but they have the WW2 style paratrooper boots.

RON

post-342-1228009507.jpg

In Memoriam:

yeah i've seen the ones that AT The Front sells, and those seem to be the closest looking and the only place that says they have the OD green lining, but the seems are not the exact style in the front sides. most of the other repros have some sort of white colored lining instead of the canvas.

those look GOOD! I've thought about it and i just think that if i were to wear mine they would fall apart and i don't want that... so i may just try and find an unissued pair like yours or a repro pair, which i don't really want to buy.

how much would an unissued pair like yours cost?

i'll post some good pics of my boots

http://whatpriceglory.com/usboot.htm

The boots are available at the above link and are pretty typical of what is avaiable.I have no link to Sturms,

RON

In Memoriam:

haha yep ^^^, i decided to get these.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=677&bc=no

its the WHATPRICEGLORY purchasing site.

just saw em right before i saw your post ^^^ i was thinking about getting them at

emericanequipage.com but the boot it's self was WAY too pale looking and atthefront seemed like the best place but they were out of my size. by the time they have them in (jan '09) i'll be in the army with my own issued pair of combat boots..

want to enjoy em' for at least a little while.

so i'll leave my boots alone and have the satisfaction of at least looking at them and showing them off.

thanks

Brad Bay