Post Your Span-Am to WW I Full-Length Soldier Photos

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the date of the photo, but this is Herman Edward Miller, Second Corps of Cadets, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia.

post-3656-0-92794900-1532302308.jpg

Collecting the Yankee Division, 101st & 102nd Artillery specifically!

Coming to you from the birthplace of the Army National Guard, Salem, Massachusetts

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Paulyp99, great Spanish American War image - Thanks for posting.

This unnamed image of an infantry soldier in training displays a campaign hat re-shaped to resemble a cowboy hat and what appears to be a Chauffeur's PFC Chevron (a wheel with eight rather than the six spokes found on the Wagoneers PFC Chevron) sewn onto the right sleeve of his flannel shirt.

post-5143-0-79804500-1532792748_thumb.jpg

An interesting group shot of Company A, 7th New York Infantry, National Guard soldiers circa 1905-ish.

They are wearing 1902 Campaign Hats (the only Army issued campaign hat with a folded & sewn brim), 1903 Olive Drab Woolen Service Coats and what appear to be 1904 pattern Canvas Leggings.

post-5143-0-76761100-1532793102_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the N.Y. 7th Infantry Regiment insignia … Note the company letter "A" embroidered on the exposed shirt collar points worn by the second soldier from the right. You can also see the folded & sewn campaign hat brim on the second soldier from the left, as well as a pair of what I'm assuming are state medals, which I've yet to identify, pinned above the left breast pocket on two of the men.

post-5143-0-72748300-1532793136_thumb.jpg

An unnamed seated corporal wearing a Marksman Shooting Badge and a trio of very, very white WW I Service Chevrons.

Apparently, when the silver service chevron for six months of WW I, stateside service in the U.S. Armed forces was adopted, there was not enough metallic silver tape available to meet the huge demand for that insignia. To fill the gap, white tape was temporarily used as a substitute until manufacturers could catch up with the needs of America's military.

I have no idea how many of the white service chevrons were made, issued or used. However, I can say that they seldom show up in period photographs or on surviving service coats.

post-5143-0-24253700-1532794165_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This image is apparently one of a series of Chinese (?) postcards that depicted the military men from the various nations involved in the Boxer Rebellion. The series of postcards must have been printed sometime after the Boxer Rebellion, which took place between 1899 & 1901, as the uniform worn by this soldier was not worn by the U.S. Army until around 1910.

post-5143-0-90964000-1535134254_thumb.jpg

Enlisted cotton service dress as worn by troops at Ft. William McKinley, Philippine Islands in May of 1915 (the date the postcard was mailed). The collar disc is either the 6th Regiment of Infantry or the 6th Regiment of Cavalry. I can clearly see the numeral "6", but I can't tell if it's above crossed rifles or crossed swords.

post-5143-0-57990200-1535135184_thumb.jpg

These may be Regulars of the Infantry somewhere in Mexico during the Punitive Expedition in Mexico, 1916.

The semi-permanent, timber & adobe huts with canvas roofs were erected at strategic points along the supply lines of the expedition from Columbus, New Mexico, deep into the heart of Mexican bandit country.

post-5143-0-62852700-1535820363_thumb.jpg