Post Your Span-Am to WW I Full-Length Soldier Photos

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Unnamed 8th Corps engineer.

8th-Corps-I.jpg

Engineer collar disc, ribbons and shoulder insignia.

8th-Corps-II.jpg

8th Corps shoulder patch without the more common white octagonal border.

8th-Corps-III.jpg

world war I nerd

1st Army engineer, Guy, B. Leet, April 9, 1919, France. He's also wearing the late war pattern canvas and wool mackinaw.

1st-Army-Engineer-I.jpg

Head and shoulders of the engineer.

1st-Army-Engineer-II.jpg

Close up of the 1st Army Engineer shoulder patch.

1st-Army-Engineer-III.jpg

world war I nerd

A very nice shot of an unnamed Doughboy wearing a Trench Mortar collar disc on his collar and overseas cap, plus a Trench Mortar insignia on his upper left sleeve.

Trench-Mortar-1.jpg

A better look and the discs, ribbons and Trench Mortar insignia.

Trench-Mortar-II.jpg

And just the Trench Mortar bomb insignia/badge/shoulder patch. I'm not exactly sure how this insignia was classified.

Does anybody know?

Trench-Mortar-III.jpg

world war I nerd

I'm pretty sure that this is a post-WW I shot of an unnamed soldier wearing the all white, 59th Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps insignia. The cardboard frame in which the image was mouted was embossed: "Parrish, Camp Lewis".

59th-CAC-I.jpg

59th Regiment Coast Artillery Corps shoulder patch.

59th-CAC-II.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

Didn't mention by accident and now can't edit it, but the Los Animas image is postmarked 1914.

One of those 40th Division artillerymen could be a relative of mine!

I believe the Trench Mortar insignia was a qualification badge like for MGs, drivers, etc.

carthage light guard

Here's a real contest:  "Tent Pitching Contest 8th U.S. Inf. Pres[idio] of Monterey Cal Jan 1910."

img046 - Copy.jpg

Not the best shot of the photo (have yet to scan it), but a nice ribbon rack on this Sgt.  

Herman (aka Heman) Hasler was from Minnesota, and joined the Army's 7th Cavalry in 1894 for a 4 year enlistment.  He then joined the 1st Washington VI as a Sgt and went to the Philippines with them before returning to the US in 1900.  He rejoined the 7th Cav for at least one more enlistment after that - though I'm not sure if he joined the 7th in Cuba or after they returned in 1902.  After he left the service, he went to college in CA, training to be a veterinarian.  He signed up again in May 1918, serving a duration enlistment through December with Auxiliary Remount Depot 306 in North Carolina.  At that point he must have still been in school, as I do not find him practicing as a veterinarian until after WWI.  

No idea what the first ribbon is (perhaps a Victory Medal?), but it's followed by the Span Am War Medal, Philippines Campaign Medal, and Washington State NG Philippines Medal (only awarded to the 1st WVI). 

2020-07-20_12-38-12.jpg

world war I nerd

Oozlefinch, I think you're right about the trench mortar insignia being a qualification badge. Has anybody ever seen the General Orders authorizing the trench mortar badge? It would be nice to know the date the insignia was adopted and what personnel were qualified to wear it.

Carthage, nice early camp scene. What kind of equipment is piled around the rifles?

Austin, that's an impressive early ribbon rack!

Thanks to all for posting.

Meet Private Archie Boucher, a farmer from Fresno, California.  He was drafted into the National Army and served with Battery E, 347th Field Artillery Regiment, 91st Division.

Not a remarkable photo, but I thought it was cool that this small group consisted of his paybook, and three identically posed photos of him wearing three different combinations of regulation Army clothing. The first two images were taken in France, while the third was taken in Germany.

In this image Archie is wearing regulation AEF service dress comprised of overseas cap, 1917 pattern service coat, with the collar of the flannel shirt worn  over the collar of the coat, service breeches, wollen puttees and hobnailed field shoes.

AB-1.jpg

Closer look at Archie's unadorned uniform.

AB-2.jpg

Archie, still in France, is decked out for field duty. It's interesting that he still has his campaign hat, which he has reshaped to sort of resemble a cowboy hat. Once again he's wearing a flannel shirt, service breeches with a non-regulation leather waist-belt, puttees, and hobnailed field shoes. He's also wearing a pistol belt on which a holstered revolver, three-pocket revolver ammunition pouch, and first aid packet are suspended. The edge of a wristwatch is peeking out from beneath the cuff of his left sleeve.

AB-3.jpg

Better view of the shirt, "cowboy hat" and pistol belt.

AB-4.jpg

Archie, now clean shaven, and in Germany, has opted for a winter field cap, 1917 mounted slicker, leather gloves, service breeches, wool puttees and hobnailed field shoes. Archie is still wearing a pistol belt, but he has upgraded his sidearm to a 1911 .45 caliber Colt and its twin-cell magazine pouch. A white brassard, whose purpose is unknown, is worn on his left upper-arm. It's possible that the white brassard bears a red cross that is not visible. My instincts tell me that's not the case, but I could be wrong.

AB-5.jpg

Close up of the upper half of the mounted slicker, pistol belt and brassard.

AB-6.jpg

world war I nerd

Another uniform study of an American Doughboy in France, named "Harry". Nothing special here either ... overseas cap, service coat and breeches, leather jerkin, leather trigger finger mittens. The only article of clothing of interest are Harry's rubber boots.

During the winter of 1917 - 1918, AEF, GHQ was made aware of the fact that the Army's regulation rubber boots had a habit of literally getting sucked off the foot, or feet, of the wearer when moving through deep mud. To prevent this from happening a new rubber boot was devised with an instep and ankle strap to ensure that the boot remained on the foot of the wearer, regardless of how tenacious the French mud was.

GHQ was aware of the older rubber boot's problem by January of 1918. I don't know the date when the improved rubber boot was adopted, now when they began to be issued overseas in the AEF. I suspect the improved rubber boot arrived overseas late in the war, because this is only the second photo in which I've seen them in use.

Harry-1.jpg

Harry and his jerkin, cap and mittens.

Harry-2.jpg

Harry's improved rubber boots with the instep and ankle strap.

Harry-3.jpg

world war I nerd

A pair of unidentified engineers somewhere in France, circa 1918. Likewise, nothing amazing here either ... steel helmets flannel shirts, one with a master engineer's chevron, wool breeches, wool puttees, and field shoes. Both me are also wearing pistol belts with holstered .45 automatics, with the seldom seem pistol lanyards looped over their shoulder, pistol magazine pouches, and first aid pouches.

France-1.jpg

The upper torsos of the two engineers.

France-2.jpg

Charlie Flick

More excellent photos, Nerd.  Thank you for posting them.

The two Engineers above with the M1911 pistols you posted about caught my eye.  The holsters both are using are the Model of 1912 swivel holsters, not the M1916.  The soldiers have folded the swivel hanger over the pistol belt to attach it.  The M1910 double hook can be seen on the soldier on the right just in front of the holster.  The other giveaway on this is the appearance of the leather leg straps wrapped around the bodies of the holsters.  The M1916 holster did not use the leg strap arrangement.  These guys evidently prefer having their holsters mounted higher up than the M1912 holster would allow when mounted as it is is intended to be mounted.

Neat pics.

Regards,

Charlie

mysteriousoozlefinch
On 7/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, world war I nerd said:

Close up of the upper half of the mounted slicker, pistol belt and brassard.

AB-6.jpg

Could it be Yellow for a carrying party?

world war I nerd

Charlie, thanks for your very astute observation about the pistol holsters. Given how high the holsters are riding up on the belts, I should have picked up on that, but I didn't!

Oozlefinch, I thought about that brassard being yellow. I also thought that it could have been the white trench cleaner's armband as well. I discounted both of those, because those "armbands" were supposed to be much narrower, around 2 inches, plus they were to be worn on the lower forearm, not on the upper arm. This, of course, does not mean that wider versions of those armbands weren't worn, or that they were not worn in the wrong place on the sleeve ... anything's possible.

A pair of pre-WW I engineers, somewhere between 1915 and 1917. The only thing of real interest are the field modifies 1910 or 1914 pattern canvas leggings worn by the engineer on the right.

Early-Eng-I.jpg

The sergeant still wears the branch of service cap badge on his service cap. I think these were replaced by the generic seal of the United States cap badge in December or 1917.

Early-Eng-II.jpg

The modified canvas leggings.

Early-Eng-III.jpg

world war I nerd

The vanguard of an unknown engineer regiment marching through London sometime in 1917.

Eng-London-I.jpg

A better look at the flag bearers and flags. Too bad the regimental flag is furled in such a way as to not show the regimental number.

Eng-London-II.jpg

Note the early rifle cartridge belts and canteens carried by the marching riflemen.

Eng-London-III.jpg

world war I nerd

This is one of four RPPC s that I recently picked up of Private John Paska, 9th Provisional Guard Company, Army Service Corps, Coblenz, Germany 1919, whose civil and military trade was that of a butcher.

John-Paska-I.jpg

Close up of Private Paska and his cutlery.

John-Paska-II.jpg

Private Paska, and presumably the rest of the kitchen crew in Germany.

John-Paska-III.jpg

The same, but just a little bit larger. It's interesting that the entire kitchen staff is decked out in fatigues and that Paska is the only man wearing the white cotton duds that were issued to cooks, backers and butchers.

John-Paska-IV.jpg

Private Paska after changing out of his work clothes. I guess, once a butcher, always a butcher, as he still carries a carving knife of sorts.

John-Paska-V.jpg

A better look at Private Paska's ribbons and insignia.

John-Paska-VI.jpg

An unusual shot of a helmet wearing Doughboy with a revolver and gas mask on the telephone.

Doughboy-&-Telephone-I.jpg

The image is printed on German postcard stock, so presumably that is a German telephone handset.

Doughboy-&-Telephone-II.jpg

Close up of the gas mask's haversack and holstered revolver.

Doughboy-&-Telephone-III.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Great shot of an AEF farrier plying his trade.

AEF-Farrier-I.jpg

Closer view of the martial blacksmith and his assistant.

AEF-Farrier-II.jpg

Note the farrier's insignia on the right sleeve of the smithy's flannel shirt.

AEF-Farrier-III.jpg

world war I nerd

Private Willie L. Lewis, Company M, 801st Pioneer Infantry Regiment somewhere in France, circa 1918.

801st-Pioneer-Infantry-I.jpg

A better look at Willie's pack and graffiti covered gas mask haversack.

801st-Pioneer-Infantry-II.jpg

world war I nerd

148th Field Artillery Regiment, 40th Division marked French made Cannon de 155mm Grande Modele 1917 and crew in Germany, circa 1919.

41st-Division-Artillery-I.jpg

Enlarged view of the 155mm gun and part of its crew.

41st-Division-Artillery-II.jpg

The only shoulder insignia present is that of the 3rd Army, worn by the lieutenant.

41st-Division-Artillery-III.jpg

The "Bucking Bronco" insignia of the 148th Field Artillery Regiment has been painted on the side of the gun, as well as on the tailgate and side of the truck towing it.

41st-Division-Artillery-V.jpg

Close up of the "Bucking Bronco" insignia as painted on the gun.

41st-Division-Artillery-IV.jpg

world war I nerd

Private Fred De Sollar (or De Sollor) USMC wearing Army olive drab in France, circa 1918.

Does anybody know what USMC outfit he served in?

USMC-Germany-I.jpg

A better look at Fred's rifle sharpshooter badge, single overseas service chevron, and his USMC cap badge.

USMC-Germany-II-jpg.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

A recent find for me, and it's a complete puzzle:   US officer type collar insignia and no branch of service, honorable discharge and single overseas stripe, interallied victory ribbon, no rank insignia...and an unknown shoulder patch.  

wwipatch.jpg

A close up of the shoulder insignia. Any ideas about this patch?

wwipatch3.jpg

world war I nerd

No idea, but I've seen it before in this photo (not mine). Other than the shoulder patch, the only visible insignia is the U.S. collar disc. Same patch though.

I've asked anybody who might know what it is. No ID so far.

Unknown Patch Forum d.jpg

Unknown Patch Forum e.jpg

world war I nerd

Unidentified 4th Field Artillery Regiment soldier and mule circa 1906 - 1908. This man is wearing what looks to be a 1904 Campaign Hat, 1904 Brown Canvas Fatigue Coat, 1904 Woolen Mounted Service Breeches and 1906 Canvas Leggings.

1904-Fatigue-Coat-I.jpg

A closer look at the three (two below the waist & one left breast) pocket 1904 Brown Canvas Fatigue Coat.

1904-Fatigue-Coat-II.jpg

world war I nerd

Two U.S. Army enlisted men, one wearing an engineer collar disc with long packs, Enfield rifles and bayonets at Camp Grant, Illinois in May of 1918.

Packs-&-Rifles-I.jpg

A better look at their rifles and equipment.

Packs-&-Rifles-II.jpg

world war I nerd

U.S. Army mounted troops with full equipment for mounted duty minus their mounts.

Mounted-Equipment-I.jpg

A close up of two of the dismounted mounted men.

Mounted-Equipment-II.jpg

world war I nerd

The blue Red Cross Supply Service brassard has bears a horn of plenty design along with the initials "A.R.C." in white. I suspect that the design is out of sight on the back of her arm.

Red-Cross-Supply Service-Worker-II.jpg

WW I member of the U.S. Red Cross wearing the uniform of the Supply Service with a blue veil and brassard.

Red-Cross-Supply Service-Worker-I.jpg