Post Your Span-Am to WW I Full-Length Soldier Photos

world war I nerd

aerialbridge

Span Am, Indian Wars, Phil Insurrection & WWI, variously, multiple wars and years of service, the three Moran brothers, sons of a Civil War vet,  and an unidentified Span Am trooper.

three brothers1.jpg

three bros 2.jpg

three bros 3.jpeg

42702662_137313576529.jpg

Posting 1274 are New York State Troops.  They are identifiable by the piping on the collars.  Also the haversacks are are regiment and company marked with the soldier number in the lower left corner, a trait of most NYNG marked item during this period.  The NYS haversacks have an attached leather strap unlike the 1878 haversack with the detachable strap.  There appear to be Merriam packs under the attached canteens, ponchos and blankets.  

• 1 month later...
Cote_1918
On 4/30/2021 at 11:59 AM, AustinO said:

Well, not everyone...🤣

image.png.e95b06646c4d21a6e4d7fa0c1ea96d17.png

Got me there...

scottiques

Just got this one in-- a 332nd Triple Patched soldier

I wasn't familiar with the triple patches until I saw this.

Housed in trifold by Robinson Studio of Alliance, Ohio.

Scott

trip2.jpg

trip1.jpg

trip3.jpg

trip4.jpg

Nice one Scott!  

I picked up a crisp 332nd double patched last year, but unfortunately a grubby thumbprint over the Lion of St Mark patch! 

image.png.3ed7c0246abc03b364299e6303502864.png

scottiques
On 5/10/2021 at 1:03 PM, AustinO said:

Nice one Scott!  

I picked up a crisp 332nd double patched last year, but unfortunately a grubby thumbprint over the Lion of St Mark patch! 

image.png.3ed7c0246abc03b364299e6303502864.png

Nice that yours has the Regimental collar brass-- mine is just crossed rifles and Company letter.

Scott

I started a colorization of a photo, will post also when done but here it is so far. Its my first time doing it so its a little rough.

Garrison Belt.pdn

Salvage Sailor

US Army Marching Band Leader wearing tropical uniform with Baton

US 2nd Infantry Regiment, Fort Shafter, T.H., 1912 Honolulu Military Parade

002a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Four Privates and a Corporal, wearing marksmanship badges

2nd US Infantry Regiment, Fort Shafter T.H. 1912 (Palm Circle)

004.jpg

Private - Private - Private - Corporal - Private - Are we looking at twins or brothers?

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, world war I nerd said:

A captain in the Massachusetts State Guard circa 1918.

Each state formed its own State Guard during WW I. The State Guard took over the duties of the National Guard after they had been sworn into Federal service with the AEF. The State Guards' were allowed to wear Army issued clothing. However, they were not authorized to use Army insignia so they would not be mistaken for active duty soldiers. Thus each State Guard organization adopted its own set of insignia, each of which was different.

post-5143-0-67432600-1538237497_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken in 1918 of Captain Walter M. Pratt Adjutant of the 11 Infantry regiment, M. S. G. . All the metal insignia shown are standard officer issue for that time period (1918). The captains rank shown is the initial early officer issue (an oval piece of flat metal with Captains Bars attached to its top with a pin back to attach to the uniform). The brassard was also standard issue and can at times be seen sewn to the left sleeve.

Sincerely

John Gisetto r.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, mrgsmvm said:

This photo was taken in 1918 of Captain Walter M. Pratt Adjutant of the 11 Infantry regiment, M. S. G. . All the metal insignia shown are standard officer issue for that time period (1918). The captains rank shown is the initial early officer issue (an oval piece of flat metal with Captains Bars attached to its top with a pin back to attach to the uniform). The brassard was also standard issue and can at times be seen sewn to the left sleeve.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

This is not a complete et. A few of the smaller sizes are missing (worn on shirt collars) and the large Lt ranks, Lt Colonel and Colonel. General Stars were worn as is not mounted on a metal Oval. These are Extremely Difficult to locate. If a collector has any that I am missing and is willing to part with them I would be willing to discuss that. 

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

100_5317 (2).jpg

100_5319 (3).jpg

Here are additional variations of Massachusetts State Guard WW I officer collar insignia. The insignia, Mass State Seal over the letters M.S.G., shown worn by the officer in the photo is the most common/authorized one worn by all officers.

Sincerely

John Gisetto Sr.

100_5321 (2).jpg

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor
On 8/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, world war I nerd said:

A corporal in the Quartermaster Corps, AEF circa 1918. Based on the leather jerkin and goggles, this man was likely a truck driver.

post-5143-0-46398200-1535135528_thumb.jpg

Appears to be a Trench Watch on his wrist too

Salvage Sailor
On 4/27/2019 at 4:29 AM, world war I nerd said:

WW I era, I'm not sure about the date, wearing the Navy's white dress uniform.

post-5143-0-46803100-1556375393_thumb.jpg

Close up of his cap and rank.

post-5143-0-40748700-1556375433_thumb.jpg

WWI USN LT(jg) in choker whites with gloves

MODERATORS NOTE:  Have you noticed that many of the very popular but lengthy forum topics are getting shorter?  For example, this topic was (57) pages long but with the new forum software we are able to merge many posts and shorten them without losing any of the information or photos.  Now this topic is a only (33) pages long and it is much more readable and presentable for our members and researchers who visit our website.

There ya go......post away

• 5 months later...

On the left is my great grandfather John Henry Stephens. 22nd Infantry Regiment, Co M. Philippine Insurrection.

169016139_JohnHStephensPhilippines.jpg.073ca105f076543c07ab30b12dab5b5a.jpg

• 1 year later...

Picked this photo up recently. The back of the photo states a soldiers name, although I'm not sure which one is him. The soldier sitting down has a ribbon bar and a marksman medal which I found pretty cool.

"Brook Carwin, 31st Balloon Co, Camp Knox KY."

IMG_0057.jpeg